Hate to admit it but im a noob

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Hate to admit it but im a noob

Postby Liquid Hat » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:44

New to the Sabayon Experience, caught a glimpse of it on a Live CD and I think it is gorgeous, seems easy to navigate, but it is totally new to me as I am a Prisoner to Microsoft Windows.

Looking for any advice to make my Laptop kick a** using this form of Linux. and to have a crash course in operating with it as a daily form of GUI OS.
Dell Inspiron 1525
- Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
- 2GB RAM
- 120GB SATA HD
- Intel Graphics Chipset
- Currently a prisoner of Windows 7, Trying to break free and experience Sabayon as a second boot or replacement to Windows 7
Liquid Hat
Baby Hen

Re: Hate to admit it but im a noob

Postby Liquid Hat » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:14

up and running dual boot, Windows 7, and Sabayon v5.0, using sabayon right now bug free for now but i think the Audio is not functioning yet
Liquid Hat
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:36

Liquid Hat wrote:up and running dual boot, Windows 7, and Sabayon v5.0, using sabayon right now bug free for now but i think the Audio is not functioning yet

That's good :)
For the audio, try opening a terminal and typing
Code: Select all
su
press enter and then enter your root password and press enter again. Then type in
Code: Select all
alsaconf
press enter and follow the instructions. Best of luck,
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:35

And after you have done that, run alsamixer in a Konsole/Terminal window, press the F6 key to select your sound card and make sure nothing is muted ('M' key toggles mute/unmute) and the sliders are set to reasonable levels. Press the Tab key to view all the pages in the AlsaMixer window.

You'll find essential articles in the SL Wiki (link is at top right of this page) with introductions to SL, instructions on how to use the Entropy binary package manager and Portage source package manager, HowTo's, tips, FAQs and more.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area