Problems after update 17 Nov 2009

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Problems after update 17 Nov 2009

Postby Pete333 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:05

Hi,

after updating my sabayon 5.0 today, this message appears everytime I reboot my notebook. "The NetworkManager applet could not find some required resources it cannot continue" ...weird, cause I disabled NetworkManager in favor of WICD. ...anyway, I open a terminal to find out what are those resources. ...# su - ...Password. ...after entering my root password, these came up: "/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/make_services: error while loading shared libraries: libbfd-2.19.1.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/gdnc: error while loading shared libraries: libbfd-2.19.1.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
"

What could be wrong here?
. ...What is the purpose of Life?
Pete333
Young Hen

Re: Problems after update 17 Nov 2009

Postby Pete333 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:11

I delete the "/usr/GNUstep" folder and its contents and the error message in the terminal were gone. ...but the NetworkManager applet thing is still there. ...but the NetworkManger applet thing still exist. ...I read in one of the post in Fedora Forum that it has something to do with a missing 22x22 icon in /usr/share/icons. ....
Pete333
Young Hen

Postby elempjr » Tue Nov 17, 2009 20:02

(asside from the network thing) i get the same exact missing notice when starting a terminal, or trying to run "screen"... i may have forgot to compile something after the last update i did yesterday. I remember seeing some sort of message relating to compiling something after everything had successfully completed but i couldn't figure out what it was telling me to do. This didn't happen until yesterday when i did my:

Code: Select all
equo update --force && equo world

(as root of course :) )

and as always i then ran:
equo conf update

Now, here is what my term looks like on fresh start of it:
/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/make_services: error while loading shared libraries: libbfd-2.19.1.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/gdnc: error while loading shared libraries: libbfd-2.19.1.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[email protected] ~ $

I'll see if i can find the message in a log somewhere so i can further figure it out... like I said, i'm sure i forgot to compile something, or made some stupid error... idk yet... i'm still looking further into the issue with other online resources and I posted here just in case and i thought it might be related
~epitomy is the bottom of the abyss
-eal
elempjr
Baby Hen

Postby Pete333 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:59

I made some research about that "libbfd-2.19.1.so" and it says that its part of "binutils". ...so I install "binutils", but nothing happens. ...I think the error is just within GNUstep, ..since I am not using GNUstep as desktop manager, I just remove it, and the error message is gone. ..everything seems normal after that except that "NetworkManager applet" warning message whenever I started my notebook.
Pete333
Young Hen

Postby xfightx » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:31

i got the same issue with gnustep, and after i removed remote desktop my terminals are fine. but i didnt get network manager error, maybe because iam using it. i dunno.

thx for solution to gnustep.
xfightx
Baby Hen

Postby elempjr » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:28

My problem was solved *magically* after today's update :)

funny how these things work

8)
~epitomy is the bottom of the abyss
-eal
elempjr
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area