Which Package Manager? [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Which Package Manager? [Solved]

Postby imag1narynumber » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:35

Hello, I am interested in giving Sabayon a whirl. I'd like to upgrade from Ubuntu Studio. :-)

I've lurked around in the forums for a little while, and I see that there's a lot of great resources that you've made easily accessible for running and administering a Sabayon box.

But my question is which of the Package Managers should I use? I've seen Emerge, Portage, Entropy, Portato, and I think a couple others. As I mentioned, I currently run Ubuntu Studio. I do all of my updates and most installs through apt, but I do use Synaptic for poking around the repos. I also ran Arch Linux for a while (sick of breakages). There, I exclusively used pacman (or yaourt), since that is powerful, easy to use (even for browsing repos), and altogether miles beyond apt. So is there one that you would say would be a good fit for me, or one that would be the most Sabayon-ish (whatever that may mean)?

Thanks in advance for your help.
imag1narynumber
Baby Hen

Re: Which Package Manager?

Postby wolfden » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:20

It's a personal choice. Learn them all and have fun.

Breaks down to 2

Entropy - binary - fast easy install, repos are behind portage a little bit
Portage - source - build it yourself, long compiles, complex to learn, complex to fix, up to date bleeding edge to break your system.

the rest are just front ends
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Which Package Manager?

Postby imag1narynumber » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:22

Sweet. Thanks for the fast, concise response!
imag1narynumber
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area