Does SL contain a .bash_profile? [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Does SL contain a .bash_profile? [Solved]

Postby bg3075 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 0:41

Again, I am switching over from Fedora... because I assumed the XBMC would work similarly to the x360mediaserver, http://sourceforge.net/projects/x360med ... ic/1600567. Though, it now seems to me that the purpose of the XBMC is to install either on a computer or an XBox, but what I want to accomplish is to allow my XBox 360 to see and play media from my computer. Therefore, I would like to attempt running the x360mediaserve again, on sabayon. The thing is I cannot find a .bash_profile file, such as what Fedora contained. This file must be edited first, adding the path to java, in order to run x360mediaserve. Is there a comparable file within sabayon?
Barry
sabayon 4.2 / Windows XP MCE
Intel 2.4 Ghz
nvidia GeForce 8600
4 GB DDR
bg3075
Baby Hen

Re: Does SL contain a .bash_profile?

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:09

Code: Select all
$ pwd
/home/fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo@acertm8215 ~ $ ls .b*
.bash_history  .bash_logout  .bash_profile  .bashrc

.bmp:
accels  bmp.m3u  log
fitzcarraldo@acertm8215 ~ $
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby thecata » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:28

Like Fitzcarraldo said, there is a .bash_profile in your home folder. I personally prefer editing .bashrc in the same folder in order to set the PATH variable. Anyway, I'm guessing you are a bit new to Linux, so remember: files that start with a dot, are usually NOT included in file listing (either nautilus, dolphin, thunar or any other file manager you use, or even a basic "ls"). In order to show those files, you need to set the file manager to explicitly show hidden files, or use "ls -a" if you prefer the console line.
Catalin Pol
Linux user since 2004; Sabayon user since 2006
thecata
Simple Hen

Postby bg3075 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:14

Thanks. Yes, I am aware of showing hidden files, but never expected to look there for the .bash_profile. Anyway, I took your advice and saved my path to java in the .bashrc file instead (second to last paragraph).
Code: Select all
# /etc/skel/.bashrc
#
# This file is sourced by all *interactive* bash shells on startup,
# including some apparently interactive shells such as scp and rcp
# that can't tolerate any output.  So make sure this doesn't display
# anything or bad things will happen !

# Test for an interactive shell.  There is no need to set anything
# past this point for scp and rcp, and it's important to refrain from
# outputting anything in those cases.
if [[ $- != *i* ]] ; then
   # Shell is non-interactive.  Be done now!
   return
fi

# Put your fun stuff here.
PATH=$PATH:/opt/sun-jre-bin-1.6.0.16/bin/java
export PATH

# Python 2.x autocompletion
export PYTHONSTARTUP=~/.pystartup
I hope I did it right, though, as there were several paths which included java, none of which are the same as in Fedora, http://sourceforge.net/projects/x360med ... ic/1600567.

Thanks again
Barry
sabayon 4.2 / Windows XP MCE
Intel 2.4 Ghz
nvidia GeForce 8600
4 GB DDR
bg3075
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:25

By the way, did you try the SL Search facility? Keywords "java path" comes up with the following thread which would have also solved your problem: Run Java-Problem! [Solved].

You'll find a few things that are different between Fedora and Gentoo/Sabayon Linux. Most distributions have some differences. The principles are the same, though.

A request: When you have solved your problem, please mark the thread solved. To do this click on the EDIT button in the first post and append " [Solved]" to the Subject text. Thanks. I'll do it for you this time.

:arrow: Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area