Unsupported mode

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Unsupported mode

Postby prodigalson666 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 15:07

I'll try this tonight after work I uninstalled sabayon last night after constant aggravation so ill have to reload this evening. What would be at the heart of this matter though? I dont exaggerate when I say I have never had this problem before, sabayon was actually the most flawless install of all the distros I have ever tried. Should I resort to sabayon 4 or an older card or a different card, Iam using ati 4350, or is this a problem with my monitor (lcd tv actually)? Iam getting a similiar issue with all linux distros, ubuntu, fedora, mandriva etc.
prodigalson666
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:38

It's probably your LCD TV that is the root of the problem, although it sounds like you simply need to find out what is the native resolution of the LCD TV and configure Linux for it. I doubt the problem is insurmountable. If you're using the closed-source fglrx driver, there are tools for doing this once you have got Linux installed to the HDD and displaying a resolution that the LCD TV can handle. The AMD closed-source Catalyst driver's aticonfig command can be used to set up Linux for external monitors and TVs. Once you have re-installed SL and got it working with your LCD TV at 1024x768 then you can enter the following command in a Konsole/Terminal window to find out the options available (search the SL Forums for examples of using aticonfig, but Google is also going to be very useful):

Code: Select all
aticonfig --help

I use an external 1440x900 monitor with my AMD ATI Mobility Radeon GPU and have no trouble at all. Unfortunately the fglrx driver no longer supports my GPU so I am using the open-source radeon driver and don't have access to the aticonfig command. But you'll find a lot about it by googling. Try also using the model number of your TV as one of the keywords along with keywords such as "fglrx" and the model of your AMD ATI GPU.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby prodigalson666 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:03

Ok sorry about the delay but I reinstalled, rebooted with the live dvd, when I go to edit the boot-grub-grub.conf, there is no file named as such, I have grub.conf.old, and old.add and remove conf files. Which should I use and where would I add the line nodcc res=1024x768 refresh=60 which allowed me to boot from the live dvd in the 1st place? Thanks
prodigalson666
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Nov 08, 2009 17:24

Must be there: it's a fundamental file, and installed by the LiveDVD. You'll also find a symbolic link called menu.lst, which links to grub.conf:

Code: Select all
[email protected] ~ $ cd /boot/grub
[email protected] /boot/grub $ ls grub.conf
grub.conf                               
[email protected] /boot/grub $ cat grub.conf
# grub.conf generated by the Sabayon Linux Installer
#                                                   
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that                   
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.         
#          root (hd0,2)                                                   
#          kernel /kernel-genkernel real_root=/dev/sda5                   
#          initrd /initramfs-genkernel                                     
### AUTOMAGIC BOOT DEVICE DETECTION -- DO NOT REMOVE ###                   
#boot=sda                                                                 
### AUTOMAGIC BOOT DEVICE DETECTION END ###                               
default=0                                                                 
timeout=10                                                                 
splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz                                     
password --md5 $1$AQxIEyfc$aNLTnVj89dK8wkZ510B.O.                         

title Sabayon Linux (kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.31-sabayon)
        root (hd0,2)
        kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.31-sabayon  root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda5 dolvm init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=791 console=tty1 quiet resume=swap:/dev/sda7 real_resume=/dev/sda7 nmi_watchdog=0 elevator=as nopat
        initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.31-sabayon
        savedefault

title Sabayon Linux (kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.31-sabayon) (safe mode)
        root (hd0,2)
        kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.31-sabayon root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda5 dolvm init=/linuxrc console=tty1 resume=swap:/dev/sda7 real_resume=/dev/sda7 gentoo=nox gentoo=nox acpi=off ide=nodma vga=normal
        initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.31-sabayon
        savedefault

title Other Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Professional
        rootnoverify (hd0,1)
        chainloader +1
        savedefault
[email protected] /boot/grub $ su
Password:
acertm8215 grub # nano grub.conf
acertm8215 grub # exit
exit
[email protected] /boot/grub $ ls -la menu.lst
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2009-05-23 18:06 menu.lst -> grub.conf
[email protected] /boot/grub $

You add the noddc res=1024x768 refresh=60 in the line that begins "kernel". And it's "noddc", not "nodcc". And don't forget to remove the vga=791 too, if that's what you did before when you got it to boot from the LiveDVD.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Previous

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area