CUPS stopped working [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

CUPS stopped working [Solved]

Postby nickdanger » Sun Nov 01, 2009 15:26

Since the last large update of 5.0 Gnome, CUPS stopped working. I am a newbie, but I may have found a common thread to Cups and Samba not working since the update. The error I get when I restart CUPS is:

Linux user # /etc/init.d/cupsd restart
* Stopping cupsd... [ ok ]
* Bringing up interface ppp0
* ERROR: interface ppp0 does not exist
* Ensure that you have loaded the correct kernel module for your hardware
* ERROR: net.ppp0 failed to start
* Starting cupsd... [ ok ]

The error I get when I restart Samba is:

Linux user # /etc/init.d/samba restart
* Bringing up interface ppp0
* ERROR: interface ppp0 does not exist
* Ensure that you have loaded the correct kernel module for your hardware
* ERROR: net.ppp0 failed to start
* ERROR: cannot start samba as net.ppp0 would not start

Since I do not have a modem in my computer, I guess there really is no ppp0, but why do the daemons want to connect to ppp0? I added the entry to bind to interface eth0 only, in the .conf file, but it did not change anything. Is there a way I would understand to load the correct module for eth0?

If this is just normal behavior in starting up these daemons please let me know, so I can look elsewhere.

Thank you very much for your help,
N.D.
Last edited by nickdanger on Tue Nov 24, 2009 0:30, edited 1 time in total.
nickdanger
Simple Hen

Re: CUPS stopped working

Postby nickdanger » Fri Nov 06, 2009 18:55

The problem with Samba which seemed related to the problem with CUPS (same error, no ppp0) has been solved by the latest updates to 5.0 Gnome AMD64. I am still having the problem with CUPS. When I try to add a printer, the GUI says, "Cannot add printer, restart CUPS." When I restart CUPS, I get the ppp0 error listed in my previous post. Has anyone else had a similar problem, or any suggestions as to how I can reconfigure CUPS so it works as it has in the past? The GUI I am using is HPLIP, which has always worked well previously.

Thank you.
N.D.
nickdanger
Simple Hen

Postby crisandbea » Fri Nov 06, 2009 19:10

nickdanger wrote:The problem with Samba which seemed related to the problem with CUPS (same error, no ppp0) has been solved by the latest updates to 5.0 Gnome AMD64. I am still having the problem with CUPS. When I try to add a printer, the GUI says, "Cannot add printer, restart CUPS." When I restart CUPS, I get the ppp0 error listed in my previous post. Has anyone else had a similar problem, or any suggestions as to how I can reconfigure CUPS so it works as it has in the past? The GUI I am using is HPLIP, which has always worked well previously.

Thank you.
N.D.

Ensure that you have loaded the correct kernel module for your hardware
crisandbea
Old Dear Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Nov 06, 2009 21:41

I think you may find it's related to a bug in the latest version of cups. Downgrading to cups 1.3.11 worked for me (you'll need to use portage to do it).
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby nickdanger » Fri Nov 13, 2009 21:16

Yes, I verified I do have the correct kernel module. I will try to downgrade CUPS, just as soon as I figure out how that operation is done with Portage.

Thanks for the help,
N.D.
nickdanger
Simple Hen

Postby nickdanger » Tue Nov 24, 2009 0:29

I installed "Portato" using Sulfur SPM. Using Portato, I downgraded CUPS to 1.3.11r1. After doing this, I still had the same problem with the HPLIP GUI. HPLIP would find the networked printer, but when I tried to install it, i still got the pop-up that said, "unable to install printer, restart-CUPS."

I then tried to install the printer (HP L7590) and a FAX by using the CUPS web-GUI administrative tab, install printer selection. This is not as convenient as the HPLIP GUI, but it is not difficult. The printer and the FAX installed through the CUPS web-GUI OK. I now believe my problem was with HPLIP not with CUPS.

I have used the HPLIP GUI in the past without any problems, and I am not sure why it does not work now, with 5.0 Gnome AMD64 current updates, but as long as I can install printers using the CUPS GUI, I consider the problem solved.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
N.D.
nickdanger
Simple Hen

Re: CUPS stopped working [Solved]

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:55

Be warned: CUPS 1.4.* works differently from CUPS 1.3.* (e.g. the usblp module is not used any more and conflicts with the new version of CUPS), and also printers may need to have udev rules defined in the /etc/udev/rules.d/ directory.

Just for information, today I installed cups-1.4.2 and it works OK with my printers (Epson, Canon and PDF-virtual). I also installed hal-cups-utils-0.6.19, but I don't know if that is essential. The config file for the 2.6.31-sabayon kernel specifies the usblp module (CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=m), which does not work with CUPS 1.4.*, but usblp is blacklisted in the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, which I assume was done by the cups-1.4.2 ebuild. I see there is no CUPS rules file in my /etc/udev/rules.d/ directory, although from what I've read on the Web, udev rules for CUPS are now usually needed. Furthermore, I added myself and the root user to the lp group just in case, but I don't know if that is required with CUPS 1.4.*. My printers did not work until I deleted them in CUPS (http://localhost:631/) and re-added them. I have found that the ink level utilities net-print/mtink and net-print/ink don't work with CUPS 1.4.*, presumably as a result of the redesign of CUPS.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area