smb problem after KDE 4.3.2 update: Sabayon 5.0 KDE [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

smb problem after KDE 4.3.2 update: Sabayon 5.0 KDE [Solved]

Postby iamkrazee » Wed Oct 28, 2009 19:18

I did world upgrade last night using equo. And today, samba option has disappeared from dolphin and konqueror. This is a serious problem for me.

Explicit access to smb:/ gives an error "Invalid protocol."

Please help.

P.S. : I donno where this thread belongs, and I'm a newbie so I posted it here.
Last edited by iamkrazee on Mon Nov 09, 2009 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
iamkrazee
Young Hen

Samba broken

Postby DanySK » Wed Oct 28, 2009 19:20

Hi all,
after the big updates pack of few days ago, my samba stopped working both in KDE and GNOME 64 bit installations. Is it a known issue? Any way to solve?
DanySK
Technological Hen

Re: smb problem after KDE 4.3.2 update : Sabayon 5.oh KDE

Postby iamkrazee » Wed Oct 28, 2009 19:22

Update on this : I just accessed this comp from my mom's laptop(win7) using IP address, it opened up. It's showing all my shares. Also, see this:

Code: Select all
# /etc/init.d/samba status

So I figured some minor problem must be there, so did the following:
Code: Select all
alok-c2d alok # /etc/init.d/samba stop
* samba -> stop: smbd...                                                                                                                                                                             [ ok ]
* samba -> stop: nmbd...
* start-stop-daemon: no matching processes found                                                                                                                                                     [ ok ]
alok-c2d alok # /etc/init.d/samba start
* samba -> start: smbd...                                                                                                                                                                            [ ok ]
* samba -> start: nmbd...                                                                                                                                                                            [ ok ]
alok-c2d alok # /etc/init.d/samba status

Fired up dolphin, typed smb:/ and again the same problem. Still no samba shares in "Network" section from within Sabayon. And still accessible from windows machine using IP.
iamkrazee
Young Hen

Samba stopped working

Postby nickdanger » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:26

I have been using Sabayon 5.0 Gnome since it was released, and have had no issues. I regularly browsed network shares, and transferred files using Samba. Yesterday, I updated a large number of files, (using Sulfur) and today my Samba file sharing does not work. In the past, I clicked on Places/network, and all of my network shares would show as icons which I could open by clicking on them. Now when I browse the network, I have an icon for the file server, but when I click on it, I get: "Could not display smb://192.168.3.10:139; The file is of an unknown type." I know nothing about the SMB service in Linux, so I am not even sure what information to post. The network connection works, I am using it to post this message. The hardware configuration is at http://www.sabayonlinux.org/pastie/2077. This a problem because all of my data files are on the remote server. The server and network were tested by other users, and no problem was found.

Thank you,
N.D.
nickdanger
Simple Hen

Re: Samba stopped working

Postby iamkrazee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:31

Same problem with KDE edition.. (post : viewtopic.php?f=86&t=18783)

Does it say "smb: invalid protocol" ? Looks like this isn't an issue with DE at all... it has to be samba.
iamkrazee
Young Hen

Re: smb problem after KDE 4.3.2 update : Sabayon 5.oh KDE

Postby iamkrazee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:34

buzz! :roll: :bom:
iamkrazee
Young Hen

Samba stopped working

Postby nickdanger » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:41

I have been using Sabayon 5.0 Gnome since it was released, and have had no issues. I regularly browsed network shares, and transferred files using Samba. Yesterday, I updated a large number of files, (using Sulfur) and today my Samba file sharing does not work. In the past, I clicked on Places/network, and all of my network shares would show as icons which I could open by clicking on them. Now when I browse the network, I have an icon for the file server, but when I click on it, I get: "Could not display smb://192.168.3.10:139; The file is of an unknown type." I know nothing about the SMB service in Linux, so I am not even sure what information to post. The network connection works, I am using it to post this message. The hardware configuration is at http://www.sabayonlinux.org/pastie/2077. This a problem because all of my data files are on the remote server. The server and network were tested by other users, and no problem was found.

Thank you,
N.D.
nickdanger
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:58

merged topics

please file a bug report with as much information as possible
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby iamkrazee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 15:59

iamkrazee
Young Hen

Postby iamkrazee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 22:07

Installing samba from portage didn't work. I was really hoping for it, cause it was so painful to sync.

World=no go!
iamkrazee
Young Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area