installation tools/options

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

installation tools/options

Postby leeghoofd » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:15

Hello all,

I've been running several linux distrubutions trying to get to know how they work and such.
So far my favourite has been Ubuntu/kubuntu, mostly because it does not require much
configuration and the installation runs pretty much flawless.

My impression of Sabayon is also very good. It appears to have an even friendlier userinterface than Ubuntu.

The trouble is that once u have used ubuntu you get used to installation tools such as synaptic package manager, " sudo apt/aptitude " commands in the terminal or automatix ( yes i know using such programms as automatix is a security risk ).

What is the usual way to install programms in Sabayon? I really would prefer not to compile from source as this takes forever on my old latitude machine. Is there a repository based installation tool or some command you can use to install programms ( like VLC )?

CheerZ
leeghoofd
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:36

Welcome, this has been asked several times on the forum. please see this thread:
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1730
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby leeghoofd » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:52

wolfden wrote:Welcome, this has been asked several times on the forum. please see this thread:
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1730

I did search.. and found emerge commands and explanations on both Sabayon and Gentoo sites .. no problem there.. but i do not seem to be able to locate any graphic installation interfaces. Does that mean :

A. I'm too stupid to find information on this.
B. There is no GUI for installation
C. Just hard to find.

At any rate sorry for bothering this redundant question

edit: Nevermind these two posts of mine. I should have looked around a bit longer before asking stupid question and should take the time to get to learn emerge commands and related material.
leeghoofd
Baby Hen

leeghoofd

Postby mars » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:57

Hey emptyhead, pm me in dutch if you dare and ask me want you want to know.
I'd like a bit of Dutch chatter about sabayon now :wink:

Kind regards
mars
mars
Growing Hen

Re: leeghoofd

Postby leeghoofd » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:05

mars wrote:Hey emptyhead, pm me in dutch if you dare and ask me want you want to know.
I'd like a bit of Dutch chatter about sabayon now :wink:

Kind regards
mars

It says i Need to write at least five messages on this board in order to be able to send a pm. Guess this is a good way to protect people on this board from newbe's like me ;)

I might be messaging you later with some more specific questions :).. right now I need to install some CAD station.. ( no not running on linux guys sorry, Linux is not supported by the CAD software we're using ~~ )
leeghoofd
Baby Hen

Postby mars » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:10

No, it is normal on fora. I know of forums you cannot pm peeps until posted 15 messages. I'll send you one, you'll be able to reply there. BB
mars
mars
Growing Hen

Postby ed » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:43

To answer your question, Kuroo is a graphical frontend to Portage and it is installed as standard. All you need to do is emerge --sync so that the database behind it is created correctly before you use it.
ed
Simple Hen

Postby ThrnClwn » Wed Oct 18, 2006 15:21

*Ubuntu is neither harder or easier to install than Sabayon. In fact, Sabayon is the only distro that has never failed me, or given me error messages during an installation! And believe me I have tried a lot of distros.
ThrnClwn
Young Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion