Grub2 Boot Loader Menu [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Grub2 Boot Loader Menu [Solved]

Postby obnascar » Mon Oct 19, 2009 17:49

I have Sabayon 5.0 installed on sda1 (hd0,1) and Parsix 3.0 on sdb1 (hd1,1).

Sabayon uses grub legacy and Parsix Grub2. I had Sabayon installed but just recently added Parsix 3.0 and put grub2 on the root partition. Sabayon grub is also installed on the root partition.

After I got done installing Parsix my computer still boots up using grub legacy from the Sabayon partition.

Is there a way to to get it to use grub2 from the Parsix partition ? I used to do this with the Grub Super Disk but I guess it does not recognize grub2. I have searched and read many-many doc's and articles on grub2 but have not found anything yet on what I am trying to accomplish.
Last edited by obnascar on Thu Oct 22, 2009 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
"I haven't lost my mind, it is backed up on disk somewhere"
obnascar
Simple Hen

Re: How do I boot up In Grub2 If It is using grub legacy now ?

Postby xlnagla » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:02

obnascar wrote:added Parsix 3.0 and put grub2 on the root partition. Sabayon grub is also installed on the root partition.

Could you clarify? What do you mean by "root parition?" What bootloader is on the mbr?
You will most likely want to use your Parsix install disk to put grub2 on your mbr and follow an online guide to have grub2 boot Sabayon's grub. If you feel comfortable with grub2 syntax, you could also just have grub2 boot Sabayon directly - it's not supported here, but there's no reason it won't work if done correctly.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby obnascar » Tue Oct 20, 2009 13:55

xlnagla wrote:What do you mean by "root parition?"

Did I do something wrong ? When I installed Parsix I chose the option to install grub to the partition boot sector, not the mbr. Same thing for Sabayon. I have never used the option to install grub to the mbr other than Ubuntu and they force you to use the mbr. Isn't the mbr a Windows thing ? I didn't know Linux had a mbr.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
regards,
OBnascar
Last edited by obnascar on Tue Oct 20, 2009 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
obnascar
Simple Hen

Postby Stupot » Tue Oct 20, 2009 15:36

MBR isn't an OS thing, it's a motherboard/computer thing. In order for your computer to load anything from the get go, it has to know where the OS is located. That is where the MBR comes into play. It is what gets loaded first and it tells the computer where it should go to attempt to load whatever is next. If you have grub installed on your Sabayon partition and that is what you first see, then your MBR is directing your computer to there right off the bat.

As xlnagla said, it would probably be easiest to reinstall your grub2 on the MBR and have that also able to boot Sabayon's grub.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby obnascar » Tue Oct 20, 2009 15:54

Stupot wrote:As xlnagla said, it would probably be easiest to reinstall your grub2 on the MBR and have that also able to boot Sabayon's grub.

Ok, thanks for the comments and suggestions. Now I will have to do some more reading to see how to get grub2 installed to the mbr. I believe it is different than grub legacy. I will be glad when all Linux distros are using grub2, that is if there aren't to many bugs)

Isn't it easier to fix grub though if it is installed to the partition rather then the mbr if one has multiple OS's ? I have never been able to fix grub problems when it has been installed to the mbr, not even with the Super Grub CD. I visited the Super Grub home page and I see they have released the final release for grub legacy, starting with the next release it will be compatable with grub2, that will be insteresting to say the least.

thanks again,
OBnascar
obnascar
Simple Hen

Postby obnascar » Thu Oct 22, 2009 15:21

I was able to use a Grub2 boot loader menu on my computer instead of the grub legacy menu that I was booting up, it was easier than I thought.

First I booted into the partition that had Grub2 installed, then in a terminal:
Code: Select all
# grub-install /dev/sd?

sd? would be the drive where I have grub2 installed. Then the next time I booted up l was seeing the Grub2 boot loader menu instead of the menu from my other Linux distro that was using grub legacy. This is what I was trying to accomplish.

To make all of my other Linux distros show up in my Grub2 boot loader menu, again I booted into the partition where my Grub2 was installed and then entered:
# os-prober
# update-grub2

I rebooted and my new Grub2 boot loader menu showed all of my other Linux distros on this computer.
obnascar
Simple Hen

Postby xlnagla » Thu Oct 22, 2009 15:41

useful - just make sure you've got all the arguments passed to the kernel that Sabayon needs.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby obnascar » Thu Oct 22, 2009 17:32

# update-grub2

When "update-grub2" is executed, Grub 2 will read /etc/default/grub and the files in contained in the /etc/grub.d folder. This combination will set the visual parameters of the grub menu (/etc/default/grub) and search for linux kernels, other operating systems, and items designated in user-created scripts in /etc/grub.d.
obnascar
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area