The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 16:13

By any chance is anyone here a fan of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain? These guys are accomplished musicians and amusing at the same time (Smells Like Teen Spirit is a blast). They manage to come up with tongue-in-cheek versions of pieces that are funny and musically enjoyable. Apparently Bowie was very impressed with their version of Life on Mars. Their use of counterpoint is clever, too. I'm a huge fan. Here are some of my favourites of their covers, but all their stuff is excellent:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly [Ennio Morricone]
Life on Mars [David Bowie]
Smells Like Teen Spirit [Nirvana]
Teenage Kicks [The Undertones]
Wuthering Heights [Kate Bush]
Satellite of Love [Lou Reed]
Fly Me Off The Handel [Frank Sinatra/Gloria Gaynor/The Eagles/The Who/Roberta Flack/Andy Williams/...]
Shaft [Isaac Hayes]
Hard to Handle [Otis Redding et al.]
Orange Blossom Special [Ervin and Gordon Rouse]
Born to be Wild [Mars Bonfire/Steppenwolf]

Amazing what you can do with four strings and a sense of humour (not to mention a heap of talent).

They're brilliant live, too. If you ever get the chance to see them, don't hesitate.

Apologies if this post seems a bit 'spammy', but I thought some of you might enjoy these. I have nothing to do with the orchestra; I just really dig what they do.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 22:19

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Amazing what you can do with four strings and a sense of humour (not to mention a heap of talent).

They're brilliant live, too. If you ever get the chance to see them, don't hesitate.

With a name like that, how can one resist looking. I must admit to expecting a row of George Formby lookalikes and was pleasantly surprised. Of course it set me off thinking of one of own favourites in terms of musical "oddities" and finding this piece for just voices. I actually prefer their Bach with the MJQ but this just shows what you can do with voice alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KcJWXUIPuo
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby bluecrxnc » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:42

Neat. Not really my cup of tea, but just HAD to watch them all just in case :-D :P
Image -> 5.0 Gnome
Image -> 3800+ (2.01 GHz)
~ Portage User ~
bluecrxnc
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:35

Nice finds - nothing wrong with some good tunes!

Always been of a fan of

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly [Ennio Morricone]
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Off Topic