Linux Desktop App for Hulu

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Linux Desktop App for Hulu

Postby Stupot » Mon Oct 12, 2009 19:32

http://www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop-linux

Exciting stuff. Yes it is proprietary, but I'd rather have linux gaining support through proprietary means than no means at all.

Edit: There is an ebuild for it. I can't say I've tested it out yet: http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=288372
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: Linux Desktop App for Hulu

Postby onlyoneskwalla » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:49

That app is sick :twisted: Basically like a media player wrapper for hulu very slick. only hickup in the ebuild is having to add the flashplayer location to the .huludesktop.
onlyoneskwalla
Advanced Hen

Postby lonesomecrow » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:20

I just downloaded the x86-64 .rpm package and installed it using the rpm package from portage and it works like a charm. It even created a shortcut in my kickoff launcher with an icon!!!! I didn't have to move flash to anywhere nor link it. It just worked on the first try!!
lonesomecrow
Simple Hen

Postby onlyoneskwalla » Tue Oct 13, 2009 16:46

Unfortunately I attempted rpm -i huludesktop-x86_64.rpm --nodeps and still had to edit the .huludesktop file on sabayon kde 5. Regular rpm -i would complain on missing stuff.
also noted that its in sunrise overlay now.
onlyoneskwalla
Advanced Hen

Postby lonesomecrow » Tue Oct 13, 2009 20:13

The command I executed was:
Code: Select all
rpm -ihv --nodeps huludesktop.x86_64.rpm

and it worked the magic. I actually just noticed however that there's no sound when anything plays, just video but I'm about to install the newest version to see if that fixes it.
lonesomecrow
Simple Hen

Postby onlyoneskwalla » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:08

Sound issue maybe related to flash and pulseaudio try, and I try to shy away from rpming things overlays and emerge and entropy are my domain(dont want to increase breakage risk anymore and im a noob to its commands). ebuild just seemed more stable but i didn't pass -hv

export FLASH_FORCE_PULSEAUDIO=1
in terminal if of course you use pulse ( think its standard)

and for anyone following along and you can add sunrise by a simple
layman -a sunrise
emerge --sync
I included the sync incase you didnt bring portage up to speed yet as you may get a corruption mask.
then of course just emerge huludesktop. perhaps this can make it into entropy think the license is a eula?
onlyoneskwalla
Advanced Hen

Postby lonesomecrow » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:14

Actually just a simple reboot after installing the latest version helped with the sound. Will use the Sunrise overlay anyway. Thanks for the info.
lonesomecrow
Simple Hen

Return to Off Topic