Firefox

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Firefox

Postby anfernio » Tue Oct 13, 2009 21:17

For once I actually have a laptop that seems to work with linux. It's an EEE PC 1000HE. That's a relief because I have been trying to get it to work for a long time now.

I have the same problem with wicd that I have read other people are having, that it hangs on "obtaining IP", but knetworkmanager works for me without any issues. I was wondering if it is ok to stick with knetworkmanager, or should I try and get wicd to work?

The main issue that I have is that the only website I need to use for school gives me an error message saying that I do not have the correct version of Internet Explorer or Netscape. I only get that message while running Firefox in Sabayon, but I do not get the message when I use Firefox in Windows.

I'm not even sure where to begin with this. I hope someone can help me out. Does the Firefox on the Live KDE DVD have all of the available plugins? How can I find out what I need to make this work?

I just think it would be funny to only have Windows on my laptop for a single website. LOL.

Thank you all for making such a great Operating System. Hopefully I will be a full linux convert shortly.

Anthony
anfernio
Baby Hen

Re: Firefox

Postby Stupot » Tue Oct 13, 2009 21:28

Try the User Agent Switcher Addon for Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59

There are some websites out there that do unnecessary validation checking and end up blocking linux users when they are perfectly capable of viewing the web site. One of the common ways websites do so is by checking your user agent. You can trick those websites into thinking you are using a different browser through this addon. I can't guarantee that's how your school's website does it, but it's the most common.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area