probably a silly question about wine [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

probably a silly question about wine [Solved]

Postby Marvin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:10

first off, i'm really new to Linux and even newer to Sabayon 5.0 amd64 K.
i need an accounts package and there doesn't seem to be a proper alternative to the commercial windows stuff.
therefore, it seems that i have two options,

1)
install windows and boot it up whenever i need to do any accountancy

2)
install my accounts package in wine

now i'm "using" (well, hope to be using) Linux, i would really like to so get some decent uptime figures, so i was thinking about the second option.
now, and here's the question, windows programs are really great at creating files in millions of different locations, regardless of where to tell it to install. what happens when you install such a program under wine? does it created the myriad of locations used by windows? or does it wave a magic wand and simply stick the lot in one place.

really sorry if this seems too stupid to ask.
Sabayon 5.0 amd-64 K
Kernel 2.6.31 SMP x86_64
AMD PHENOM2 X4 945 sAM3 *95W*
GByte GA-MA785GMTUD2H AMD785G SB710
Corsair TwinX 4GB DDR3 1333
2x 1.5TB Ssung HD154UI SATA
SSUNG TS-H653N/HPDH 20X
XCLIO 3060PLUS CASE
500W STORM PSU ATX
dvd/cd combo
Marvin
Young Hen

Re: probably a silly question about wine

Postby curse » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:40

Wine use it's own 'fake windows' system, something like
'/home/your_user/.wine/program files'
/home/your_user/.wine/windows/system32
all files will be in
'/home/your_user/.wine'
and not all around your system. the dot before wine means it's a hidden file/folder.
curse
Simple Hen

Postby Marvin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 17:52

what a pity someone hasn't written a windows app to keep all the damn files in one place! :D
p.s.
i think i found what the dot did the other day when i was trying to get a particular sub-dir displayed at the top of the filelist
i.e. out of sort order.
that's something i've always done on windows for "folders" that i've wanted to highlight.

guess there's no more excuses so i'll be spending the weekend installing quickbooks and doing my stupid vat! :alien:

thanks again curse
Sabayon 5.0 amd-64 K
Kernel 2.6.31 SMP x86_64
SSUNG TS-H653N/HPDH 20X
XCLIO 3060PLUS CASE
500W STORM PSU ATX
dvd/cd combo
Marvin
Young Hen

Postby xlnagla » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:29

you may also want to look into kmymoney

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby Marvin » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:00

kmymoney says that it's a Personal Finance Manager. this normally means that it does not handle VAT and i can't find any reference to VAT on the kmymoney site. the reviews, etc, on the site do refer to it being an intuit quicken and m$ money alternative, neither of which really handle VAT. i really don't want to install it just to find i'm right so please can you (or someone) specifically confirm that kmymoney does in fact handle UK VAT.
thanks
Sabayon 5.0 amd-64 K
Kernel 2.6.31 SMP x86_64
SSUNG TS-H653N/HPDH 20X
XCLIO 3060PLUS CASE
500W STORM PSU ATX
dvd/cd combo
Marvin
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:08

Have you had a look at GNUcash (http://www.gnucash.org/)? It handles VAT. It got a 4-star review in the October 2009 Computer Shopper magazine and the reviewer thinks it is excellent. The reviews summary was:

GNUcash **** (free)
Moneydance ***
Ability Accounts **
Accountz Personal *****
Microsoft Accounting Express 2009 ****
Sage Instant Accounts 15 ***
Quickbooks Pro 2008 ***
MYOB Accounting *****
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Marvin » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:24

an even more stupid question ...
how do you start wine?

i have added gkrellm to my system and discovered that i could search for it then start it from there (i've now added it to my menu) so i have the basics (i guess).
however, search doesn't find wine.

i've checked sulfur and wine 1.1.28 seems to be installed.
yet i still can't find it with KAppfinder.

curse did say something to me about scon not working on his gnome system until he had re-installed it, is that what's happening here?

is it cos i don't drink?
Sabayon 5.0 amd-64 K
Kernel 2.6.31 SMP x86_64
SSUNG TS-H653N/HPDH 20X
XCLIO 3060PLUS CASE
500W STORM PSU ATX
dvd/cd combo
Marvin
Young Hen

Postby Marvin » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:35

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Have you had a look at GNUcash (http://www.gnucash.org/)? It handles VAT.

i did try the windows version of this some time ago and i simply could get to grips with it. in fact, i couldn't even get started with it.i found lots of reveiws and comments at the time saying exactly what i thought about it.
when i decided to move to Linux i did think about GNUcash, actually i decided to go for as many GNU programs as possible to be honest. however, due to my earlier experience with it, i decided to look at the reviews first. again i found a similar story. specifically, tales of UK users saying that it's great for the USA but begging for a table of accounts which would make it suitable for UK VAT.

tbh, that rather put me off - especially after my previous experience.

unless you know where i can get a vanilla UK setup from.
Sabayon 5.0 amd-64 K
Kernel 2.6.31 SMP x86_64
SSUNG TS-H653N/HPDH 20X
XCLIO 3060PLUS CASE
500W STORM PSU ATX
dvd/cd combo
Marvin
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:53

See Re: Autohotkey - AHK - For linux for some information on using Wine-Doors to install Windows applications and launch them via the desktop manager. As mentioned in that post, you need to run winecfg (to set up your pseudo drives, version of Windows, etc.) from a Konsole/Terminal window (under your own username, NOT as the root user). To run a Windows application from the command line if you're not using Wine-Doors then you would open a Konsole/Terminal window and enter the command:

Code: Select all
$ cd <the complete path to the directory where the Windows application is installed>
$ wine <the Windows application's executable file name>

For example, if you have installed Word 2000 in SL, you would type:

cd "/home/fitzcarraldo/.wine/drive_c/Program files/Microsoft Office/Office/"
wine WINWORD.EXE

(Substitute "fitzcarraldo" with your own username, of course.)

I dual boot with Windows XP and -- unlike the above, where the Windows application is installed via Linux -- for some Windows applications I don't bother installing them in Linux, I just use Wine to run them directly from the mounted Windows XP partition. Some work, some don't. In those cases I do:

$ wine <path and name of Windows application executable file>

For example, I can run Visio 5 Professional directly from my laptop's Windows XP partition without bothering to install it via Linux:

wine "/media/ACER/Program Files/Visio/Visio32.EXE"

Note that Linux is case sensitive, so if you browse the directory in Linux and see any upper and lower case characters in the Windows directory paths and file names, you must type them exactly like that. "winword.exe" and "WINWORD.EXE" are completely different things in Linux.

Also, if you want to launch the Windows application from an icon on your SL Desktop, you can set up a Desktop Config file to do it. If the Windows application is installed via Linux then you would need to first create a simple Bash script to perform the two commands (see Word 2000 example above). If the Windows application is to be launched directly from a mounted Windows partition then you can enter the single-line command directly into the Command box when you create the Desktop Config file (by e.g. right-clicking in the Desktop window in Dolphin and selecting New and so on).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:06

Marvin wrote:
Fitzcarraldo wrote:Have you had a look at GNUcash (http://www.gnucash.org/)? It handles VAT.

i did try the windows version of this some time ago and i simply could get to grips with it. in fact, i couldn't even get started with it.i found lots of reveiws and comments at the time saying exactly what i thought about it.
when i decided to move to Linux i did think about GNUcash, actually i decided to go for as many GNU programs as possible to be honest. however, due to my earlier experience with it, i decided to look at the reviews first. again i found a similar story. specifically, tales of UK users saying that it's great for the USA but begging for a table of accounts which would make it suitable for UK VAT.

tbh, that rather put me off - especially after my previous experience.

unless you know where i can get a vanilla UK setup from.

Have you see the GNUcash Wiki FAQ regarding configuring it for UK VAT?: http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area