new to sabayon relatively comfortable debian/ubuntu user

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

new to sabayon relatively comfortable debian/ubuntu user

Postby patrickmoore » Sun Oct 04, 2009 15:28

so im redoing my laptop and want to try a new distro. i have used ubuntu and linux mint for about a year and a half and am relatively comfortable with linux. what i want to know is if sabayon 5 is stable and how am i most likely to fare with the learning curve?
patrickmoore
Baby Hen

Re: new to sabayon relatively comfortable debian/ubuntu user

Postby hatalar205 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 15:45

I first tried Sabayon 4 months ago. Since then I can't use any other distro. I also used Ubuntu and Mint for a year and I liked them. But, Sabayon is wonderful. You will like it.
I am not an experienced one, but I can say that it is stable although they always use the newest kernel and versions of programs.
Everything is your fault. Yes, I advised you but you did.
hatalar205
Simple Hen

Postby patrickmoore » Sun Oct 04, 2009 15:52

thank you, i checked out the live cd and was blown away by the aesthetic beauty of the distribution. hopefully its as good under the hood
patrickmoore
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:09

patrickmoore wrote:hopefully its as good under the hood

It's better under the hood than many distributions, in my opinion. I used Ubuntu for 2 years, concurrently with SL, but stopped using Ubuntu a year ago.

SL is a customised version of Gentoo, which is very configurable and known for its excellent documentation. However Gentoo has a reputation for being a geek's/tinker's distribution. Therefore what SL's chief developer (Fabio Erculiani, a.k.a. lxnay) did was to create Entropy: a binary package manager which makes SL much easier to use than Gentoo's source-based Portage package manager (which is still available in SL for the more experienced users). Entropy is similar in concept to the package management tools for binary package distributions such as Ubuntu. Equo is the command line equivalent of apt-get and Sulfur is the GUI equivalent of Synaptic.

The SL development team is small but very dedicated, and the results speak for themselves.

As with any new OS, please do take the time to learn how to use the package managers. The SL Wiki has several articles explaining how to use them. A good start is the article: Entropy (notice Section 8, Fresh Install too).

Welcome on board.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:10

i checked out the live cd and was blown away by the aesthetic beauty of the distribution

Thanks! :lol:
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby jasohall » Mon Oct 05, 2009 15:52

I just installed Sabayon yesterday, coming from Kubuntu. So far I'm very pleased and impressed. It took me a little bit to set up my wireless on my laptop but after that the whole system just feels more complete and stable. Sabayon 5.0 looks great, best graphics yet. Every package I want is installed or available through sulfur which I'm very happy about. Kubuntu, Linux Mint KDE, sidux, etc just don't look or feel as nice as Sabayon. It's a little bit harder than kubuntu as far as setting up configs and such but it's no biggie. Thanks guys for the great job!
jasohall
Baby Hen

Postby Richlion » Thu Oct 08, 2009 21:28

I've been using SL since 3.4f and I am not planning any changes. Now I am on SL5.
Really excellent peace of machinery combined with the wonderfull graphics theme, it really looks professional.
SL5 now seems very very stable as compared to SL4.2, boots up so quickly I can hardly blink my eyes.
The DVD's no longer come with all the software, but I must say I am impressed with Sulfur, I installed all my missing programs in a couple of days without the horrible hasle of running into masked packages. I wouldn't waste time
installing just Gentoo.
With SL5 it seems like many things have been fixed except for a few minor glitches, like the sound system.
I just found some updates - newer version of Pulseaudio (installed via Emerge) and Kmix, unfortunately Kmix is now blocked by other packages.
I still cannot read my camera SD card using an external hub with a USB connection - when viewed through Dolphin the files are crippled or corrupt and mounting the device goes on and off and error messages keep coming out. But I installed Digikam and got my pictures through my camera connected via USB. This didn't work on SL4.2.
I also lost one of my Polish local letters, a big surprise to me, so I'll have to search how to fix this.

Overall a wonderfull experience with SL5. The fonts in the system are so sharp like never before on a Linux box.
A good graphics card is a good thing to have. I always change my colour theme to Evenin Lilac, where fonts are even sharper. On previous KDE versions and SL4 I had problems with applications like Skype and Firefox integrating with the colours, but now this has also improved.

A big thanks to the team.
Richard
Richlion
Technological Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area