Issues and questions about 5.0 [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Issues and questions about 5.0 [Solved]

Postby sparkythewondersquid » Wed Oct 07, 2009 15:27

Hello all
I am not new to linux but I am to sabayon so I am posting here. I installed sabayon 4.2 on virtualbox and loved it so much it quickly became my main OS when 5.0 was released having borked my 4.2 hoping to branch 5 I did a fresh install and some things have changed
1) there are two screensaver options X and Gnome but neither will work it goes to black screen what do I do about this?

2) I cannot set my photos as wallpaper (I've tried .png and Jpeg) how to fix this?

3) Is there a way to enable system sounds? (when you hit buttons recive email etc.) there is an option in preferences>sounds but it seems to do nothing

4) I added firefox 3.7a1pre (minefield) from tar.gz2 it does not add java plugin the other distros I've used this was automatic am I missing something? or is there a way to do it?
I do know these are minor issues but they are important to me if anyone could help me sort through these things I would certainly appreciate it very much
Thank You :)
sparkythewondersquid
Young Hen

Re: Issues and questions about 5.0

Postby wolfden » Thu Oct 08, 2009 0:13

I guess we are gonna need more information

Which Sabayon 5.0 did you install and is it another virtualbox install? I assume it's the gnome one

1. you can try reinstalling gnome-screensaver or check the log files for errors, almost seems like screen blanking is kicking in, xset --help and you can learn about turning off blanking

2. what happens, what do you mean can't? check the log files for errors

3. see http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/PulseAud ... 28GNOME.29 for sounds

4. we don't support software installed outside the package manager
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby smoke_damage » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:55

hello, i just downloaded Sabayon five-oh and burned the ISO to disk. i loved the live cd that i burned so much that i had to install!!! anyways, after install i was trying out everything and i can get sound but not when trying to play an mp3, anyone know what's going on? has anyone ran into this yet? guess i should have RTFM first! can anyone please help with this?
smoke_damage
Baby Hen

Postby sparkythewondersquid » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:55

wolfden wrote:I guess we are gonna need more information

Which Sabayon 5.0 did you install and is it another virtualbox install? I assume it's the gnome one

1. you can try reinstalling gnome-screensaver or check the log files for errors, almost seems like screen blanking is kicking in, xset --help and you can learn about turning off blanking

2. what happens, what do you mean can't? check the log files for errors

3. see http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/PulseAud ... 28GNOME.29 for sounds

4. we don't support software installed outside the package manager

I installed 5.0 AMD64 Gnome native install
The screensaver issue solved I uninstalled Gnome and use X it works fine
As for the desktop when I add a .jpg from my photo's the background just goes to the pre-set solid color same for a few I downloaded I tried converting the images to .png (like the defaults) that gave the same results
I followed the info on the link and still no sounds and I cannot play mp3 I do get sound on the web (youtube etc.)
as for minefield I can understand not wanting to support non-repo software I sure I can find a solution to that
thank you for responding you have a fantastic distro here I hope I can solve these problems
sparkythewondersquid
Young Hen

Postby sparkythewondersquid » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:25

I changed the audio output to dmix:0 the system sounds work and mp3 play very badly so I guess I'm closer then before
sparkythewondersquid
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:37

smoke_damage wrote:hello, i just downloaded Sabayon five-oh and burned the ISO to disk. i loved the live cd that i burned so much that i had to install!!! anyways, after install i was trying out everything and i can get sound but not when trying to play an mp3, anyone know what's going on? has anyone ran into this yet? guess i should have RTFM first! can anyone please help with this?

Please do not hi-jack other threads, please start your own thread and state issue and as much info as possible including hardware
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby wolfden » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:40

sparkythewondersquid wrote:I changed the audio output to dmix:0 the system sounds work and mp3 play very badly so I guess I'm closer then before

You may want to look at the pulse audio manager or may have to tweak the /etc/pulse/default.pa file

I tried the gnome screensaver out here and it worked without issues

Are you able to open any jpg files at all? I know fprot is complaining here on my end.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby sparkythewondersquid » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:52

OK
images do not open in F-spot but they do open in gimp I did download a .png and that worked fine for desktop and F-spot. On compiz skydome I have a .jpg and it works fine there. I have not played with the pulse audio yet but one thing at a time
sparkythewondersquid
Young Hen

Postby sparkythewondersquid » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:56

Sound still not right same on mp3 and wma
sparkythewondersquid
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:01

If you check the log file in your /home/yourusernamehere/.xsession-errors you should see something about it complaining about fprot, can you file a bug on our bugzilla with the attached log. Note that .xsession-errors is a hidden file.

thanks
wolfden
Sharecropper

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area