Accessing apps on the DVD without installing?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Accessing apps on the DVD without installing?

Postby stuartnz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:50

I am coming back to Sabayon after a break of more than a year and really like what I see. Because I rely heavily on Dragon Naturally Speaking, XP is my main OS, but I miss linux and Sabayon is shaping up as one of the top two contenders for a linux partition. One edge I thought it had over the other main contender, OpenSuse 11.2M8, is that Sabayon is a LiveDVD rather than a LiveCD. This, I thought, meant I would be able to try out many more apps before install, especially KOffice 2.x

So far, however, I have been unable to figure out how to access any apps other than the very few in the menu, about the smae number (actually mostly all the same apps) as in the OpenSuse CD. Is this a PEBKAC issue? If so, what am I missing?
noho ora mai
What's a pieriansipist?
Where Can I Look It Up?
stuartnz
Baby Hen

Re: Accessing apps on the DVD without installing?

Postby wolfden » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:57

Its a live mini-dvd, we don't have the full blown bloated DVDs any more. Entropy makes it so easy to add the applications you desire afterwards.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby stuartnz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:27

Thanks for the reply. Given the paucity of apps available for testing prior to install I'm at a loss to understand what the advantages are of the "mini-DVD" over a CD, since the latter seems to offer just as many app.s I shall keep looking for a distro that lets me test then app.s I'm interested in BEFORE installing, which I had thought was the point of the "Live"discs.
noho ora mai
What's a pieriansipist?
Where Can I Look It Up?
stuartnz
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:10

Short List why:
It was highly requested, we got slammed big time all over the net for being bloated
It allows us to produce a better ISO as it's easier to solve the bugs.
Lesser Bugs
It gives those that are on limited internet access a better chance.
Entropy just makes it so easy to add a gazillion apps in a matter of minutes
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby stuartnz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 20:45

Yes, I understand that Entropy makes it easier to add apps quickly after installing, and since I'm most likely to come back to Sabayon when it's time to install a distro, that's fine. It is a little disappointing not to be able to test the specific app I'm after but I am sure I will find a Live distro somewhere that will let me give KOffice 2 a run

What I was wondering was why, if Sabayon shrank its D/L size, it went with a mini-DVD over a CD. Especially since that would have meant an even smaller d/l size,less bloat and one would still have Entropy for "filling in afterwards". Basically I'm wondering what the heck is ON the DVD that couldn't fit on a CD. Going by the list of available apps, I really couldn't see any more than were on the Suse CD. I get the reasons for shrinking, but don't see what edge the current size has over a CD. It is a riddle wrapped in an enigma and shrouded in mystery. :)
noho ora mai
What's a pieriansipist?
Where Can I Look It Up?
stuartnz
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Oct 08, 2009 0:03

cause of space, cds are just getting too hard to produce as things grow in size
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby stuartnz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 0:06

A double check of the Distrowatch listing confirms that their info on Sabayon is incorrect. It says
The live DVD includes a large range of desktop environments and open source software applications, such as KDE, GNOME, XFce, Fluxbox, KOffice, OpenOffice.org, FreeNX, amaroK, Kaffeine, etc.
(e.a.)

When in actual fact the LiveDVD does not offer all those app.s, only some are available running it as a Live DVD, the rest after install.
noho ora mai
What's a pieriansipist?
Where Can I Look It Up?
stuartnz
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area