UNetbootin Supporting Sabayon

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

UNetbootin Supporting Sabayon

Postby wolfden » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:58

The latest version is now supporting LiteMCE

For more info:
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: UNetbootin Supporting Sabayon

Postby lxnay » Sun Jan 25, 2009 13:11

I am sure that we can arrange the support for Sabayon4 too, I did that with USB sticks regardless the size of the ISO images.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:50

lxnay wrote:I am sure that we can arrange the support for Sabayon4 too, I did that with USB sticks regardless the size of the ISO images.

Would be very nice. One of these days I want to put SL onto a large-capacity pen drive.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby hatalar205 » Sun May 17, 2009 20:21

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
lxnay wrote:I am sure that we can arrange the support for Sabayon4 too, I did that with USB sticks regardless the size of the ISO images.

Would be very nice. One of these days I want to put SL onto a large-capacity pen drive.

I installed Sabayon 4.1 with a 2 gb USB stick. It is very easy and faster than a Live DVD.
Everything is your fault. Yes, I advised you but you did.
hatalar205
Simple Hen

Postby Srixon » Thu May 21, 2009 7:51

UNetBootIn 323 Supports more than just MCE now.

unb323 4.JPG
Srixon
Baby Hen

Postby lxnay » Thu May 21, 2009 8:13

and what about 4.1 ;) ? Should be the same as LiteMCE
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby mynameisbogdan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 19:11

4.1/4.2 iso`s working too! :) tested!
dwm::zsh::tmux::vim
mynameisbogdan
Baby Hen

Postby bennachie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:10

I've been able to install both the KDE and the Gnome versions of 5.0 using UNetbootin to transfer the ISOs to 2MB USB sticks. I had to pick about in my collection to find sticks with enough real space for the KDE version (Gnome is easy, of course). I assume that I could have used 4MB sticks as well, formatted as FAT32 - I might get around to checking that.
bennachie
Baby Hen

Postby mobilehunter » Sun Oct 04, 2009 21:04

I did 2 installation for Sabayon 5(x86K and amd64K) using 4Gb flash disk.
All were running without problem.
mobilehunter
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:46

Me too. Just installed Sabayon Linux 5.0 to a 4 Gb pen drive using UNetbootin and it works brilliantly.

For anyone using Windows who is still unsure how to do it:

1. Surf over to the Web page http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and download to your Windows Desktop the Windows version of UNetbootin.

2. Surf over to a Linux distribution's home page and download to your Desktop the ISO file for the latest version of the distribution. For example I downloaded the latest version of Sabayon Linux from the mirror site http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/sabayonlinux/ (I clicked on the following link to download the ISO file of Sabayon Version 5 64-bit edition with the KDE desktop: http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/sabayo ... md64_K.iso).

3. Plug in a FAT32 4 Gb (or larger) pen drive to your PC, and double-click on UNetbootin on your Desktop to run it.

4. Select 'Disk Image' and click on '...' to select the ISO file on your Desktop. Make sure 'Type' says "USB Drive" and 'Drive' is the Windows drive letter of your pen drive. Then click on "OK".

5. It takes a while to install on the pen drive and then UNetbootin prompts you to reboot. Click on 'Reboot'. When your PC is rebooting, press F2, Del or whatever the command is on your PC to enter the BIOS configuration utility, and set the pen drive as the preferred drive to boot from. Then save and exit from the BIOS utility and let your PC boot from the pen drive.

You'll boot from your pen drive into a fully functional 'LiveDVD', except that it's not a DVD, it's a pen drive. Because it's not an optical drive, it runs as fast as installing Linux on your hard disk. And it has zero effect on your hard disk and Windows installation. You can still browse folders and read/write files on your Windows hard disk if you want, though.

The only limitation is that any changes you make to your Linux configuration (e.g. to change the default keyboard) are not saved when you shut down.

It's a great way to try out a Linux distribution quickly without needing to burn a CD/DVD, and with much faster response. You can find out if wireless works and so on.

I'm typing this now from Sabayon Linux 5.0 which I installed to my 4 Gb pen drive just now here in the office. It just took a few minutes to install to my pen drive once I had downloaded the ISO file to my Desktop. It's so easy to do, it's like falling off a log. Give it a try!
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**