Where are all the users?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Where are all the users?

Postby dagurasu » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:15

I haven't been in here in awhile. But I'm amazed to see just the few same old people.. and very little chatter. A new major release just came out and the major board areas have like less than a post a day and usually nobody logged in and like 4 guests viewing. I'm confused. Obviously the devs are doing good work. Sabayon shows alot of popularity on distro-watch for whatever that's worth, but I'm surprised not to see users here asking questions. Is it just becasue Sabayon works so perfectly and obviously even for noobs that they don't need to? Are all the questions being asked on facebook? Do I just have an over-inflated image what I think the user base is or should be (like more than 100 I hope)?
dagurasu
Simple Hen

Re: Where are all the users?

Postby CrackedCore » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:24

All good questions, dagurasu. I am new to the forum and Sabayon, but not new to Linux. It could be that many are still just having fun with the OS, as I am. I don't know alot, but I do know this, Sabayon 5.0 is the best OS I have ever used and that includes Win7 and Fedora 11.
Sabayon 5.0 KDE AMD64
Phenom II X3 720 / Gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H / Gigabyte HD 4670 / 4 X 2Gb Mushkin XP PC2 - 8500
2 X 1Tb WD Caviar Black / 150GB WD VelociRaptor / 750Gb Seagate 7200.12
CrackedCore
Baby Hen

Postby PennyRoyal » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:55

I not too surprised by the lack of chatter today. Personally, I think everyone is playing with and enjoying the fruits of our beloved Sabayon Developers hard work. I know I have been anxiously waiting for SL5.0 for the last couple of months. When it was announced yesterday it was finally ready for prime time, I knew then what my weekend plans were gonna be. Today I formatted my HD and installed my nice, fresh and clean Sabayon 5.0, and have been having a ball getting everything setup "just the way I like it". Let me sincerely say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, to everyone who had a hand putting this all together. My experience so far has been an OOTB pleasure. WOW... what a great piece of work!

Penny
Sabayon 14 KDE64
i7 4770K @ 3.5
MSI Z87-GD65 w/CM V8 HSF
16GB Vengeance DDR3 w/GMCEC0 HSF
EVGA GTX670 x2 SLI
240 Neutron GTX SSD
3x2TB SATA
CM HAF 932 w/Corsair 850w
Upstar M280A1 4k 28"

"Teamwork: A lot of people doing what I say!"
PennyRoyal
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:45

lots of testing, lots of hard work and it pays off.

over 8000 views on the press release :-)

Time will tell
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby thecdn » Sun Oct 04, 2009 16:27

I've had a Sabayon install for a couple of years now, never as a main distro but as something that is intriguing and that I want to keep an eye on.

I looked forward to the 5.0 release but was very frustrated when I couldn't get either version of kde to boot on my machine (booted on wife's laptop). The gnome version booted but didn't install properly, thought I'd have to give up on Sabayon till the next release.

As a last ditch effort, I decided to use a different brand of dvd-rw and burn with brasero instead of k3b. I don't know which was the deciding factor, or the combination of both, but I got the kde 64 version to boot up and was able to install successfully.

So far everything is working great. I just might give this version a try as my main distro and hope I don't do anything to break it like I usually do :P
thecdn
Simple Hen

Postby stuartnz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:13

I'm just about to give the latest release a try - I have some weird configuration on my leased PC that didn't play well with an earlier version of Sabayon, but a glance at distrowatch reminded me that I should give it another go.
noho ora mai
What's a pieriansipist?
Where Can I Look It Up?
stuartnz
Baby Hen

Return to Off Topic