Gentoo 10th anniversery edition live DVD

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Gentoo 10th anniversery edition live DVD

Postby throdon » Wed Sep 30, 2009 21:46

Even though it's a testing DVD It's working pretty good. I am posting from it right now. The DVD is quite quick and has an up to date package list. KDE 4.3.1, wicd wireless manager, and shiretoko 3.5.3. flash is NOT included,
over all this is the best Gentoo live DVD that I have found, I have never had a super experience with a Gentoo Live DVD. some of them just didn't work. this one seems to be on par with a Sabayon Live DVD just without the proprietary or branded software.

Also congrats to Fabio in becoming a Gentoo developer and hopefully this will bring Sabayon and Gentoo into the heavyweight division of Linux distros.

again great DVD and with Sabayon 5.0 to be released soon hopefully great things are coming to both communities.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Re: Gentoo 10th anniversery edition live DVD

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 22:13

Thanks for the info. I'm waiting eagerly for the Gentoo LiveDVD to be released officially. You say that KDE 4.3.1 is not installed by default (probably a good thing :twisted: ). Is another DE installed by default? Xfce, for instance?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Sep 30, 2009 23:06

KDE 4.3.1 is included
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05689

Linux kernel 2.6.30, glibc 2.9 and GCC 4.3.2, and boots into KDE 4.3.1 by default (GNOME 2.24 and Xfce 4.6.1 are also available).
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby throdon » Wed Sep 30, 2009 23:41

I only meant that flash was not installed. most everything else that I used is cutting edge.
It is one of the most stable live DVDs that "I" have used. I have been using it for close to 2 hours and only one minor glich, that killed my desktop.
the live DVD comes with multiple DEs and window managers even some combos like KDE/openbox, E-16, E-16KDE, E16GNOME, XFCE and others.
It reminds me of a 75% featured Knoppix 5.3 DVD Just a lot more polished. People might not agree But in the last 3 years this is the best Gentoo live that "I" have seen.
one of these a year would be would be a great thing for Gentoo.
I am not sure how to install it with a GUI but the Gentoo website has asked everyone to test it and if Gentoo reawakens and combines to form "Voltron" with Sabayon. we are going to become a major player on the Linux scene.
now we just have to get Daniel and Funtoo involved in this and everyone to work forward and the sky is the limit.
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Oct 01, 2009 15:47

throdon wrote:and if Gentoo reawakens and combines to form "Voltron" with Sabayon. we are going to become a major player on the Linux scene.

Is this wishful thinking on your part, or do you know something I don't? :)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 17:29

Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby throdon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 18:05

just wishful thinking, I really don't know much.
Just imagine Gentoo, Sabayon, and Funtoo, working together can we stand up and be taken seriously. we are #8 on distrowatch but I don't think those numbers are the best measure of a distros strengh. Can we stand as one and side by side in comparison to the *buntu/Debian distro family, how about the RPMs.
When we work together can we become a dynasty like the others. I think this would be good for linux overall, and better for us overall. People are scared of the source side of the house. It is so much easier to install a DEB or a RPM, but is it really that hard to use Sulfer or portage. No I don't believe it is. and now that we all are getting better relations between us hopefully we become the next Linux dynasty. The five lions of Voltron were a joke, but when they formed as Voltron, then they were taken seriously and were truly powerful. now is the time to build good family relations so we can get true notice and not a footnote on the end of a linux article.
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby albfneto » Thu Oct 01, 2009 22:52

Joint Sabayon and gentoo is a good thing...
i see something about the POSSIBILITY of future installation of RPMs and DEBs in Sabayon...
this is also good!
compilable as Gentoo, alternative is gentoo's type binaries (entropy), and a possibility to use DEB and RPM.
a complete distro, a complete set of installers...
a Distro for all Linux users.
the user will working with the installer that choosed.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Return to Off Topic