Admin issues & Nero 4 for Linux

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Admin issues & Nero 4 for Linux

Postby bescott » Wed Sep 30, 2009 0:25

Hello, I am still new Linux even though I have been playing with several kinds for a year or so like, Qute, RedHat, Suse, Deb, Ubuntu and then I found Sabayon v3.2 and I have been stuck on it for a while because it works OFTB with my windows home network with out to much work. Now I gave up 3.5 that I was use too work with my network, an installed 4.2... I have had several issues with it, but this one is small. When will Nero 4 be ported over so I can install it? Nero.com only has it for RPM & Deb. I still have no idea how to install stuff other than with Sprit oops Sulfur now. Not not much on the hole compiling stuff yet. I am a (dare I say it) windows user for years and I have Nero on it. At this time nero has linux ver 4. for $19 bucks and not $79 like the windows version.

The other thing which is Big. I can not find the control panel that 3.5 had where you can change stuff and had a button to go into admin mode. I did get some of the network stuff working but can not move files from windows to the linux, it does see the linux box but say I have no rights to copy or move files. The linux box see the windows server but not the folders Dolphin just report server error and times out. Everything is grayed out and I can not find a way to input the admin password to get access to it. I did find a Setting app with all kinds of stuff kind a like the control panel but most of it is grayed out. Help... Thank you in advance for your help.... BTW this is hole thing is about seeing and useing the shared folders. The internet works fine as I am typing on Sabayon...:D
Bruce
Bruce E. Scott AKA: Scotty
"I'm not a brick layer, I'm a doctor..."
bescott
Baby Hen

Re: Admin issues & Nero 4 for Linux

Postby Thev00d00 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 13:48

3.2???
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Re: Admin issues & Nero 4 for Linux

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 17:02

bescott wrote:Hello, I am still new Linux even though I have been playing with several kinds for a year or so like, Qute, RedHat, Suse, Deb, Ubuntu and then I found Sabayon v3.2 and I have been stuck on it for a while because it works OFTB with my windows home network with out to much work. Now I gave up 3.5 that I was use too work with my network, an installed 4.2... I have had several issues with it, but this one is small. When will Nero 4 be ported over so I can install it? Nero.com only has it for RPM & Deb. I still have no idea how to install stuff other than with Sprit oops Sulfur now. Not not much on the hole compiling stuff yet. I am a (dare I say it) windows user for years and I have Nero on it. At this time nero has linux ver 4. for $19 bucks and not $79 like the windows version.

Nero 4.0.0.0 is in Portage (but not yet in Entropy). Open a Konsole window and type the following commands to install it:

Code: Select all
$ su
Password: <-- enter the root user's password here, not your password
# emerge --sync
# layman -S
# emerge -1v =nero-4.0.0.0

bescott wrote:The other thing which is Big. I can not find the control panel that 3.5 had where you can change stuff and had a button to go into admin mode. I did get some of the network stuff working but can not move files from windows to the linux, it does see the linux box but say I have no rights to copy or move files. The linux box see the windows server but not the folders Dolphin just report server error and times out. Everything is grayed out and I can not find a way to input the admin password to get access to it. I did find a Setting app with all kinds of stuff kind a like the control panel but most of it is grayed out. Help... Thank you in advance for your help.... BTW this is hole thing is about seeing and useing the shared folders. The internet works fine as I am typing on Sabayon...:D
Bruce

I used to be a big fan of KDE, but KDE 4 has just made me angrier and angrier. I know it's developed by long-suffering, hard-working volunteers who are not paid for the long hours bashing the keyboard. I know the latest versions are better than the initial version. I know that the KDE developers deserve my gratitude. I know that I should contribute to the project somehow. I know that there are ways to get a classic-style Desktop. And so on. But stuff that just worked for me under 3.5.9/10 has caused me grief under KDE 4.1, 4.2.4 and 4.3.1 (Bluetooth being just one of my headaches in KDE 4.*). Perhaps one day KDE 4 will reach a professional standard. One can live in hope. //End of cry of despair.//

And, yes, the missing Root/Administrator button for System Settings is one of the bizarre omissions ([Bug 189855] New: No root button in KDM configuration tool included with systemsettings )KDE4.2.2)). According to Comment No. 117 dated 3 September 2009 in KDE Bug Report No. 151669, Administrator Mode will be available in KDE 4.4 and will not be "backported" to KDE 4.3.

So what can the poor KDE user who is a newcomer to Linux or KDE do, you may ask? I don't have access to a Linux box at the moment, but try either of the following commands under your normal user account in a Konsole window:

Code: Select all
kdesu systemsettings
sudo systemsettings
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area