Cannot create useable menu shortcut to application

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Cannot create useable menu shortcut to application

Postby spikeyb » Tue Sep 29, 2009 22:24

I have downloaded the portable version of XMind and extracted the relevant folder/files. In Nautilus, if I browse to the relevant executable file, xmind and click the file, the programme runs.

I then created a menu entry (using alacarte) to create a shortcut for the programme. When I click on the shortcut I get a message telling me that an error has occurred and to look in a log file (the location of which does not exist).

I then opened Configuration editor and created a shortcut key in /apps/metacity/global_keybindings and apps/metacity/keybinding_commands

When I press my desired shortcut keys I get a message "There was an error running "usr/bin/xmind/XMindforLinux64bit/xmind":
Failed to execute child process "usr/bin/xmind/XMindforLinux64bit/xmind" (No such file or directory)."

However, the file and directory do exist because I can locate and execute the file manually.

Please can anyone help me to understand what I am missing. Do I need to change the properties/permissions of the executable (I notice that my link to Fx is a shell script not an executable, I wonder if that is the problem).
spikeyb
Simple Hen

Re: Cannot create useable menu shortcut to application

Postby junglist » Tue Sep 29, 2009 22:39

Try right clicking on the panel bar (top or bottom of you r screen) then choose
'add to panel'
'custom application launcher'
then choose a name for the launcher, link to the executable through the 'browse button'
and last of all create an icon if you like.
You could try putting the command 'XMind' into the launcer too.
junglist
Young Hen

Re: Cannot create useable menu shortcut to application

Postby spikeyb » Thu Oct 01, 2009 19:54

Hi junglist, thanks for the help. I tried to add a launcher to the panel but it too caused an error message about the file location not existing. I manged to create a link by right clicking on the executable and clicking Make link. Strangely enough this link worked OK.

However, my real aim is to create a shortcut key via /apps/metacity/global_keybindings and apps/metacity/keybinding_commands

My shortcut keys work for my other applications but this one is not behaving and I can't understand why not.
spikeyb
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area