What's your preferred Desktop environment?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Choose your favorite Desktop Environment

Poll ended at Thu Nov 16, 2006 13:05

KDE
68%
Xfce
5%
Gnome
16%
Enlightment
8%
Fluxbox
3%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 37

What's your preferred Desktop environment?

Postby kennylog » Mon Oct 16, 2006 13:05

Just thinking about trying out xfce and i wander what you guys favorites are?

I use KDE most, because it is installed by default on most systems i use and because it works easy and good
kennylog
Growing Hen

Postby mars » Mon Oct 16, 2006 13:44

Have you seen enlightenment 17 -------> omgwtfbbqsfwyykiisg!

But seriously; I have been using SuSE for six years now, and i have always preferred KDE for its richness and configurability. Still use it every day. The rest of the people i live with too.
But when it comes to eyecandy, enlightenment definetly has my vote. Only beryl on KDE is comparable with that. For me.

The windowmanagers i find interesting?

Enlightenment DR17 - KDE - Enlightenment DR16 - Windowmaker - XFCE - Gnome

In that order. This has nothing to do with what Linus has said about interfacenazis.
lol :twisted:
mars
Growing Hen

Postby random guy » Mon Oct 16, 2006 21:09

i never used enlightenment , i kinda doubted it would be good since it wasnt one of the two big ones (kde and gnome). it really got good eye candy?

about the whole kde gnome war i get torn a lot. first i loved gnome but then i used ubuntu for a long time and grew to tolerate gnome but i really missed kde. then i switched to sabayon mini which is kde and then i started to miss gnome.

i guess i like either kde or gnome more, just whatever one i am not using at the time. :)
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Oct 16, 2006 21:12

I like KDE and XFCE

I find doing root commands very easy to do with SuperUser File Manager - I have not found something like that in the other desktop managers. I don't mind commandline, but editing large text files on the commandline is no fun.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby ed » Mon Oct 16, 2006 23:11

KDE for use on a desktop system all of the way. Gnomes who talk about their desktop being lighter weight and less Windows like than KDE don't know what they're talking about. I am not a fan of the horrid colours that Gnome uses by default.

XFCE is quite a surprise I think. It's definitely making a big step with 4.4 and it looks like Gnome is becoming redundant as XFCE does just about everything Gnome does, using the same toolkit yet is lighter weight.
ed
Simple Hen

Postby random guy » Mon Oct 16, 2006 23:58

XFCE is quite a surprise I think. It's definitely making a big step with 4.4 and it looks like Gnome is becoming redundant as XFCE does just about everything Gnome does, using the same toolkit yet is lighter weight.

ya but it is not exactly there yet but maybe another year it will be but that is just my estimate. even then more people will probably use gnome than XFCE because of ubuntu's preference.

KDE for use on a desktop system all of the way. Gnomes who talk about their desktop being lighter weight and less Windows like than KDE don't know what they're talking about.

now lets give credit where it is due, gnome is lighter weight than kde but then again being lighter weight means less features so it is a trade that some people like and others dont.

i have heard the 'gnome is less like windows than kde' thing a lot and i dont really know why. you hear that everywhere on hte net from every guy and his mother and none of them really can say in what ways kde is more like windows than gnome. since i dont get that arguement it is not usful in my decisions.

basically the way i see it is kde has more flexibility and gnome is more stable.
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby ed » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:18

random guy wrote:now lets give credit where it is due, gnome is lighter weight than kde

You sure?
http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/

So it's actually heavier weight than KDE and has less features. How do they manage it?
ed
Simple Hen

Postby random guy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 14:17

ya i have read that before. but he admits that he is a little biased. he may know a lot about optimizing kde but not as much about gnome. anyway although for his system kde was lighter for mine gnome was.

it does at least prove that the difference is slight which i agreed with in hte beginning. the difference is hardly there but i htink it is actually there though.

it is not easy for me to sit here on the middle road and say i like both for different reasons.
random guy
Advanced Hen

Postby cvill64 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 16:49

fah! if you're crying about memory, use fluxbox!
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby random guy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:21

well i use kde not gnome but like i said some people prefer it and it is not that different. i feel like i am taking assult from all sides on this issue though. what i cant like both kde and gnome?

one thing i prefer about gnome rather than kde is the system configuration tools. the kde control center is big and all encompasing which annoys me, i would rather have the little apps for each different thing. plus kde has some inefficencies in things like setting up the startup apps when gnome doesnt. that should really be a tab in the kde control center.

ya gnome design by default is as good looking as a mailbox but hey i can change all the eye-candy manually myself. lets not be blind and just say 'kde is better and we shouldnt look at anything else' we should be looking at the strengths of other enviorments and seeing how we can make similar things for kde.
random guy
Advanced Hen

Next

Return to Off Topic