ADSL Help

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

ADSL Help

Postby Brigastio » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:44

Hello everybody!
I'm not new to linux but I cannot consider myself an expert, so I apologies should my questions sound silly.

I downloaded Sabayon 4.2 KDE version: it's pretty cool and everything, but I cannot menage to get it online.
I know this topic has been treated many times over the forum, but I've read many posts about it and tried everything I could, but nothing seems to work for me, so I'm asking for help over here.

My modem is connected via ethernet and I'm currently writing through the same connection from fedora 11 in KDE.

Most of the threads I read suggested to use pppoe-setup (eventually preceded by ifconfig) but when I try it (even as root) I just get "command not found" as an answear.

The connection manager shows the DSL tab in grey, so it's not accessible (the same thing is true about avery other connection type saved WIRED and VPN).

I tried all this both from the live dvd and installation.

I'm currently using a dsl modem Alice Gate VoIP Plus Wi-Fi
The modem offers the possibility to connect via Wi-Fi, USB and Ethernet and I need the last one to get working.
I also tried with an older alcatel ethernet modem with identical results.

Thank you all.
Brigastio
Baby Hen

Re: ADSL Help

Postby sorath » Mon Sep 14, 2009 20:01

Hi,

Can your dsl modem work as router (I can't find manual of model that you use)?
If it can then it is easy for you setup it as router and customize within your adsl login/password.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One way is (it must be simpler than described below):
download "entrophy bases" (about 364 mb) from
ftp://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/sabayonlinux/entropy/standard/sabayonlinux.org/database/x86/4/

and place this files to
/var/lib/entropy/client/database/x86/sabayonlinux.org/standard/x86/4
(it's path for x86 architecture, for amd64 architecture use slightly diffrent)

And now type
Code: Select all
# equo update

to update your packege bases.

After it you system must know about packages you can install and you may download rp-pppoe package (I used net-dialup:rp-pppoe-3.10-r1~0.tbz2, but version you need may be other. Don't forgot to download md5sum files too) from
ftp://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/sabayonlinux/entropy/standard/sabayonlinux.org/packages/
Bring them to local package store (it's for x86):
/var/lib/entropy/packages/x86/4

Now you can install it:
# equo install rp-pppoe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Otherwise, as there are no packages of pppoe/adls represented on dvd-disk and you can't "equo update" without internet connection,
you can try the same wat that I used at fist time (but simplier is described above):
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=17859&p=104031#p104031

i.e.
I download the source files of "rp-pppoe" and its dependencies from Gentoo repositories, list of files (and links) can be obtained as (I also unpack "package-last" from the Gentoo snapshots to "/usr/portage/" and after do next thing):
#emerge -fpv rp-pppoe

After downloading this files and bringing in you Sabayon system at "/distfiles" directoty (/usr/portage/distfiles - maybe you need to create such dir) you need emerge them:
#emerge rp-pppoe

(if emerging failed due to imposibility of overwriting .../tk-pppoe just find and delete this broken symlink and try emerge again)

--------------------------------------------------------------

After succsessful instalation of rp-pppoe you now can just type:
#pppoe-setup

and setup-wizard ask you some questions (at least one DNS must be set as you ISP name)

and finaly just type to start:
#pppoe-start
#route add default dev ppp0

Last command (#route add default dev ppp0) is adding new ppp0 device as default route and may be your connection will works without it.
Last edited by sorath on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:19, edited 2 times in total.
sorath
Baby Hen

Postby Brigastio » Mon Sep 14, 2009 20:25

thank you very much!
I'll try this last one as soon as possible.
Brigastio
Baby Hen

Postby sorath » Mon Sep 14, 2009 20:43

I made some changes in my previous post again.
sorath
Baby Hen

Postby zorelina » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:14

How do i connect a ADSL connection to 2 computers wirelessly? i have a ADSL connection, and i just got a new computer so i will have 2 now i want to connect both of them to internet at the same time. i have just one normal modem, what will i need to connect both of them to iternet wirelessly?

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area