trying to download dvd iso torrent sloww[SOLVED]

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

trying to download dvd iso torrent sloww[SOLVED]

Postby DeadPenguin » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:39

Will the dvd isos be distributed by ftp anytime soon?
I got the torrents from linuxtracker and my Down rate is ungodly slow. Ups pushing 200 plus so I am assuming its not a NAT or Firewall problem.

Regards,
Blair
Last edited by DeadPenguin on Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:59, edited 1 time in total.
DeadPenguin
Simple Hen

Postby DeadPenguin » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:59

Coming down much faster tonight. Thanks to the people seeding. :D
DeadPenguin
Simple Hen

Postby ewiget » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:25

I got both the 3.0b and 3.1 dvd downloads from linuxtracker in about 6 hours each and have been seeding both....you might want to check this thread about slow torrents - the first post was specific to ktorrent but the bottom one is specific to azureus and takes a different look at slow downloads which should work irregardless of the software used (doesn't touch nat or the 80% rule but looks specific to tcp/ip settings) - http://www.maysville-linux-users-group. ... t-125.html

by the way, if one of the moderators doesn't want me to link to specific articles outside of this domain, I will stop. I just find it easier to link to them than copying and pasting them.
ewiget
Simple Hen

Postby DeadPenguin » Sat Oct 14, 2006 15:26

I just got it down(Sabayon 3.1 dvd) I did run across the ktorrent vs Azureus thread on here.
I think it has to be how the bittorrent programs are configured. i just think azureus does a better job getting you set up to your optimal settings.

I started last night downloading at 100kb with ktorrent it dropped off to around 10kb within an hour. I let it go over night and it really didn't accomplish much. I emerged azureus this morning and shutdown ktorrent with 53% done and a ETA of 10 hours to complete. I opened my sabayon 3.1 dvd torrent with azureus. Went through some fine tuning wizards, and jumped from 7kb down on ktorrent to 900+ kb down!!! and an ETA of a half hour. It finshed 1.5GB in half an hour. Thank you to all of those seeding.

I am not bashing ktorrent. I am sure it can be =/> to az. I just am too lazy to take the time to figure out how to get it setup properly. Azureus made setup a breeze.

Kind Regards,
Blair
DeadPenguin
Simple Hen

Postby cvill64 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 19:09

=/>

in linux world, => :P

@ewiget, pasting is sometimes better if it is relevant to the topic, as that increases the percentage change that somebody searching for a problem might find a resolution, but linking is alright, just be a contributing member to the forum :P
cvill64
Sagely Hen

My suggestion

Postby Darksurf » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:38

"emerge bittornado"

This is the monster of all torrent downloader and seeders that I've used. Azureus is nice, but not as fast and bandwidth consuming as bittornado :mrgreen:

This will upload and download as speeds higher than any other torrent program I've used. I prefer it for normal torrent use. I can acheive more in less time. I can seed more in less time :mrgreen:

Its a bit of a pain to get it working, but heres some help
after you emerge it

go to the /usr/bin and find btdownloadgui.py
that is the program. So just edit your Kmenu
and add that to the command box and then right
click a torrent and choose "open with" then "other"
then choose bittornado and check the "always open with" box
and viola! Bittornado!
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby adewolf » Thu Oct 19, 2006 19:00

I have tried to download the torrent from linuxtracker and it blew up on 2.0 GB saying that the torrent is too big. What is thsi about?
adewolf
Simple Hen

Postby ewiget » Thu Oct 19, 2006 22:46

adewolf wrote:I have tried to download the torrent from linuxtracker and it blew up on 2.0 GB saying that the torrent is too big. What is thsi about?

you trying to save to a fat (windows) filesystem? I believe windows has file size limitations. I know fat32 is 4gb - for some reason I was thinking fat16 had a 2gb limitation (could be wrong though). If its not a windows partition, do you have enough freespace where you are saving the torrent?
ewiget
Simple Hen

Postby adewolf » Thu Oct 19, 2006 23:32

ewiget wrote:
adewolf wrote:I have tried to download the torrent from linuxtracker and it blew up on 2.0 GB saying that the torrent is too big. What is thsi about?

you trying to save to a fat (windows) filesystem? I believe windows has file size limitations. I know fat32 is 4gb - for some reason I was thinking fat16 had a 2gb limitation (could be wrong though). If its not a windows partition, do you have enough freespace where you are saving the torrent?

Good point. I am downloading this on a Suse 10.0 machine with 190 GB free space and Reiser FS.

Alex
adewolf
Simple Hen

Postby adewolf » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:10

I was able to get the DVD ISO file via FTP.

Alex
adewolf
Simple Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion