chat programs for yahoo - pidgin - kopete

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: chat programs for yahoo - pidgin - kopete

Postby ReemZ » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:13

johnlvs2run wrote:
ReemZ wrote:Hmm...I dunno 'bout Yahoo as I don't use it that much (not many contacts and either offline or also on IRC, which I prefer waaaaaaay over any IM), but offline sending is something I never got to work with the msn-protocol.
Jabber supports it though.

Not exactly offline, but not showing "on"line. Usually kopete and others only show people marked online, unless you show the "offline" (including invisible) contacts, the point being that no one shows in either case unless they have already been added to the list. Not being able to open a "new message" screen is like a catch 22.

Dunno mate, sounds like you're trying to find the 'Add contact' button :lol:
Catch 22 you'd have to explain, never heard of it before.

johnlvs2run wrote:I actually started with IRC and preferred it to all that came later, everything else being a clone of it. I would still like to use irc. Also apparently some people use Paltalk, and I don't know if that is available for Sabayon. I will look into Jabber. I think there's also one called Mercury but don't know anything about it.

IRC: X-Chat! :D Freenode, #sabayon for support, #sabayon-social for smoking, drinking and talking absolute nonsense.
Guess where you find me most :mrgreen:
I did a search in both Entropy and Portage, no Paltalk, no Mercury.
Both applications I know absolutely nothing about...
You could do a package request, but I forgot how and where. Think the bugzilla but I'm not sure.
It must be somewhere on the forum, but if you don't mind I'll leave the search to you this time ;)

johnlvs2run wrote:
I think that's a question you may get a much quicker response to if you ask it on the KDE forum, as Kopete is sorta part of KDE (sorry, dunno how to explain this in a way that both makes sense and is technically correct)...

Thanks very much for your help. :)

Absolutely no problem, hope you learned something :D
Oh and please, should the KDE team be able to help you, post the solution back here so it might help others, and satisfy the curiosity that's starting to surface here...
(Oh and don't forget the [Solved]-rule :mrgreen:)

Good luck!
Handtekening? Zeg...ik ga niet op m'n monitor schrijven!
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby johnlvs2run » Wed Aug 26, 2009 18:55

I use the "open blank message" feature primarily for opening messages, as is more convenient than having to look around and "find" a contact to click (unless they are showing online). In the case of someone not being on the list, there is no way to send without being able to open a blank message.

The catch 22 is that you would need to message with someone before deciding to add them to a list, but there is no way to message someone unless they are already on the list.

ReemZ wrote:all three protocols I use (msn for those left behind in the Stone Age, yahoo for the odd American ;) and Jabber, because I can :cool:) connect through Kopete .. Then again, I think that's a question you may get a much quicker response to if you ask it on the KDE forum, as Kopete is sorta part of KDE

A few people posted on the KDE forum about Kopete not connecting to Yahoo, but they did not get any positive response. I posted on the same thread and no one has replied.
biostar tf8200 | nvidia graphics | sabayon 5.5 lxde | sabayon 3.5 kde
| 2gb ddr2 800 dual channel sdram | 2x seagate barracuda 7200 250gb sata 3gb/s
| amd be2350 brisbane 2.1ghz 45w dual-core | hannsg hw192 monitor | earthwatts
johnlvs2run
Growing Hen

xchat > jabber > kopete

Postby johnlvs2run » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:06

Hopefully ReemZ or someone else can provide guidance with the following.

1) How to get XChat (freenode?) and get it working with Sabayon;

2) How to get Jabber working with Sabayon.
Do I just register for Jabber through Kopete? If so, what Jabber server should I use?

3) Does Kopete (version#?) connect with Yahoo in Sabayon 5.0?
Also is 5.0 good to use yet or do we need to wait for 5.1 to come out and when will this be.

I would like to get my friends to use XChat and/or Jabber.
I used Irc a long time ago, made chatrooms and got a lot of people to go there and use it too.
It would be nice to do that again if possible.
johnlvs2run
Growing Hen

Re: xchat > jabber > kopete

Postby ReemZ » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:16

johnlvs2run wrote:Hopefully ReemZ or someone else can provide guidance with the following.

1) How to get XChat (freenode?) and get it working with Sabayon;

2) How to get Jabber working with Sabayon.
Do I just register for Jabber through Kopete? If so, what Jabber server should I use?

3) Does Kopete (version#?) connect with Yahoo in Sabayon 5.0?
Also is 5.0 good to use yet or do we need to wait for 5.1 to come out and when will this be.

I would like to get my friends to use XChat and/or Jabber.
I used Irc a long time ago, made chatrooms and got a lot of people to go there and use it too.
It would be nice to do that again if possible.

1: equo search xchat ;)

2: Can't remember, did it either through Kopete or Jabber website, just try and find out :)
Server...check their site ;)

3: I'm not using 5 yet, this one I'll have to pass on ;)
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:23

have you seen our wiki? sounds like you need to look up the package manager to install xchat? or are you trying to setup xchat?
Package Manager
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=Entropy
config
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/XChatHowto << pics and stuff

again, install or setup? You can use which ever program you want with jabber and the server doesn't really matter, which ever works for you, jabber.org is good one.

yahoo should work with kopete

5.0 good to use yet? why not? why wait for 5.1? 5.0 is stable release. It's a live disk, download and try it for yourself

Roadmap
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/pages/show/id/80/0

Of Course dates change and stuff as 5.0 was not released in August. 5.1 will not be September. The best thing to follow for updates is our blog
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby johnlvs2run » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:26

Thanks very much for the quick responses, ReemZ and Wolfden. :)
johnlvs2run
Growing Hen

Postby ReemZ » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:28

You're welcome mate :)
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Previous

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area