chat programs for yahoo - pidgin - kopete

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: chat programs for yahoo - pidgin - kopete

Postby ReemZ » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:59

johnlvs2run wrote:
ReemZ wrote:I am so glad I was not attempting to drink anything at the moment Image

I am so glad to have made a worthwhile contribution! :mrgreen:

Not yet, not yet..........did you edit a wiki yet? :mrgreen:

johnlvs2run wrote:
wolfden wrote:You need to see gentoo documentation as it covers almost everything you will need

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... =1&chap=10

Thank you, Wolfden. I will check it out and see what happens.

I know what will happen! You will learn! :alien:
Handtekening? Zeg...ik ga niet op m'n monitor schrijven!
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby johnlvs2run » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:08

johnlvs2run wrote:Is there a way that I can transfer all of my files from this hard drive to that one?

wolfden wrote:You need to see gentoo documentation as it covers almost everything you will need

Well if that's what I need to learn then I'll just have to lose the files and start over.

Anyway a good housecleaning now and then can be helpful.

Thanks for both your responses. :)
biostar tf8200 | nvidia graphics | sabayon 5.5 lxde | sabayon 3.5 kde
| 2gb ddr2 800 dual channel sdram | 2x seagate barracuda 7200 250gb sata 3gb/s
| amd be2350 brisbane 2.1ghz 45w dual-core | hannsg hw192 monitor | earthwatts
johnlvs2run
Growing Hen

Postby johnlvs2run » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:14

ReemZ wrote:Not yet, not yet..........did you edit a wiki yet? :mrgreen:

You are brimming with confidence, aren't you ReemZ! :lol:

I know what will happen! You will learn! :alien:

I am keeping it for a reference. Maybe someday it will make sense to me. :)
johnlvs2run
Growing Hen

Postby ReemZ » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:31

johnlvs2run wrote:
johnlvs2run wrote:Is there a way that I can transfer all of my files from this hard drive to that one?

Well if that's what I need to learn then I'll just have to lose the files and start over.

Anyway a good housecleaning now and then can be helpful.

Thanks for both your responses. :)

Maybe browsing and searching the forum for a while, looking for 'how to install and/or configure Grub' (and finding the errors in the Wiki :mrgreen:) could help you understand it better.

I'm getting really tired (neither of you nor of this thread, just need sleep) so I'm gonna leave you to it now.
I suggest you take just a little time to do a bit of reading - not being able to chat up your Yahoo contacts should give you all the time you need :mrgreen:

Also, backup your files, there's no need to lose them by rushing into things, it's not like you going to lose much by putting off a new install a few days ;)
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby johnlvs2run » Tue Aug 25, 2009 21:39

I switched to Saybayon 4.2 for a couple of hours a few days ago, to see if pidgin would work.

However Pidgin is apparently not there, so I spent the time trying to get Kopete to connect.
In fact, the interface of Kopete looks great, but it would not connect to Yahoo.
I went back and forth with it for a couple of hours, but it still would not connect to Yahoo.
Also the menu bars are quite finicky, and there's no place to open a new message.

I did not notice any other chat programs on Sabayon 4.2 .
The Firefox version 3.0 is the same one that I'm using now.

I've been using Kopete on Sabayon 3.5 recently, as Pidgin no longer connects.
It is fine, except the menu bars have the same finickiness, and nowhere to open a new message.
In Yahoo was simple, type cntl-n, or click an icon, or select file from the menu at the top.
None of these work in Kopete.

The issue was draining my energy so I refrained from posting about this for a few days.
It would be helpful have Kopete and other chat programs working with Sabayon 4.2 .

Thanks for replies.
johnlvs2run
Growing Hen

Postby ReemZ » Tue Aug 25, 2009 22:04

johnlvs2run wrote:I switched to Saybayon 4.2 for a couple of hours a few days ago, to see if pidgin would work.

However Pidgin is apparently not there, so I spent the time trying to get Kopete to connect.
In fact, the interface of Kopete looks great, but it would not connect to Yahoo.
I went back and forth with it for a couple of hours, but it still would not connect to Yahoo.
Also the menu bars are quite finicky, and there's no place to open a new message.

I did not notice any other chat programs on Sabayon 4.2 .
The Firefox version 3.0 is the same one that I'm using now.

I've been using Kopete on Sabayon 3.5 recently, as Pidgin no longer connects.
It is fine, except the menu bars have the same finickiness, and nowhere to open a new message.
In Yahoo was simple, type cntl-n, or click an icon, or select file from the menu at the top.
None of these work in Kopete.

The issue was draining my energy so I refrained from posting about this for a few days.
It would be helpful have Kopete and other chat programs working with Sabayon 4.2 .

Thanks for replies.

I'm not completely sure what you mean by opening a new message, no matter what client I've used (WLM/YIM when I was still in the Dark Ages, Kopete after my Enlightenment), I simply double-click the contact I want to send a message to and I think it works the same way with Pidgin.
As for Pidgin not being found in Sabayon 4.2, could be, simply put: Kopete -> KDE, Pidgin -> Gnome.

After updating (you should know that process by heart now ;)), you could do 'equo search pidgin', see what comes up.
If it's not installed or not the latest available version (as in, available in Entropy, NOT on the web), do
Code: Select all
equo install pidgin --ask
(do NOT forget that --ask!!), when asked for confirmation on calculating dependencies, say Yes, when asked for confirmation on executing the queue, obviously say No.
I have no clue as to what Pidgin's 'normal' dependencies are, but, 4.2 being split into KDE and Gnome versions, I assume it will want to download a LOT of other packages (the dependencies) and most, I think, will have gnome in their names.

Try it, post it ;)
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby johnlvs2run » Tue Aug 25, 2009 22:31

ReemZ wrote:I'm not completely sure what you mean by opening a new message, no matter what client I've used (WLM/YIM when I was still in the Dark Ages, Kopete after my Enlightenment), I simply double-click the contact I want to send a message to and I think it works the same way with Pidgin.

A "new" message - for friends who are "not" on the list.
How do you get a blank message box to send a "new" message to someone not on the list.

Also when a person on the list is offline, it is easier to send a "new" message than to have to open
all the offlines and try to find their name on there to click on it. On pidgin you could open a new box,
type the first 2 letters and the rest of the name would show up - which is much much easier.

If Pidgin no longer works with KDE then I will use Kopete.

After updating (you should know that process by heart now ;))

I know all the previously helpful messages above, lol :mrgreen: things like that. :)

you could do 'equo search pidgin', see what comes up.

Thanks.

Kopete will be fine if I can figure it out, for example how to open a new messages,
and most of all how to connect to Yahoo in the first place. Any suggestions about that? Thanks.
johnlvs2run
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Aug 25, 2009 22:41

pidgin should of been bumped the other day and should all be working

equo update
equo install pidgin
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby ReemZ » Wed Aug 26, 2009 0:39

wolfden wrote:pidgin should of been bumped the other day and should all be working

equo update
equo install pidgin

--ask
Just to be safe ;)

johnlvs2run wrote:A "new" message - for friends who are "not" on the list.
How do you get a blank message box to send a "new" message to someone not on the list.

Until now, I did not know that was possible with any IM service :oops:

johnlvs2run wrote:Also when a person on the list is offline, it is easier to send a "new" message than to have to open
all the offlines and try to find their name on there to click on it. On pidgin you could open a new box,
type the first 2 letters and the rest of the name would show up - which is much much easier.

Hmm...I dunno 'bout Yahoo as I don't use it that much (not many contacts and either offline or also on IRC, which I prefer waaaaaaay over any IM), but offline sending is something I never got to work with the msn-protocol.
Jabber supports it though.

johnlvs2run wrote:If Pidgin no longer works with KDE then I will use Kopete.

Oh it will, I should have been clearer on that.
Pidgin is 'written for' Gnome, Kopete is 'written for' KDE, maybe Wolfden can take over and explain that to you ;)
(Sure you can Wolfden, try to be as nice here once as you always are on FB :mrgreen:)

johnlvs2run wrote:
After updating (you should know that process by heart now ;))

I know all the previously helpful messages above, lol :mrgreen: things like that. :)

*chokes in sm0ke* Image

johnlvs2run wrote:
you could do 'equo search pidgin', see what comes up.

Thanks.

Kopete will be fine if I can figure it out, for example how to open a new messages,
and most of all how to connect to Yahoo in the first place. Any suggestions about that? Thanks.

Hmm...I dunno what the problem could be here, first of all you're using KDE4.x now, I'm still on good old 3.5 and I don't know much (or anything) about the 'KDE4-version' of Kopete, and all three protocols I use (msn for those left behind in the Stone Age, yahoo for the odd American ;) and Jabber, because I can :cool:) connect through Kopete (all in one single little screen) without a problem, so I wouldn't know where things could be / have gone wrong in your case.
Then again, I think that's a question you may get a much quicker response to if you ask it on the KDE forum, as Kopete is sorta part of KDE (sorry, dunno how to explain this in a way that both makes sense and is technically correct)...
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby johnlvs2run » Wed Aug 26, 2009 0:54

ReemZ wrote:Hmm...I dunno 'bout Yahoo as I don't use it that much (not many contacts and either offline or also on IRC, which I prefer waaaaaaay over any IM), but offline sending is something I never got to work with the msn-protocol.
Jabber supports it though.

Not exactly offline, but not showing "on"line. Usually kopete and others only show people marked online, unless you show the "offline" (including invisible) contacts, the point being that no one shows in either case unless they have already been added to the list. Not being able to open a "new message" screen is like a catch 22.

I actually started with IRC and preferred it to all that came later, everything else being a clone of it. I would still like to use irc. Also apparently some people use Paltalk, and I don't know if that is available for Sabayon. I will look into Jabber. I think there's also one called Mercury but don't know anything about it.

I think that's a question you may get a much quicker response to if you ask it on the KDE forum, as Kopete is sorta part of KDE (sorry, dunno how to explain this in a way that both makes sense and is technically correct)...

Thanks very much for your help. :)
johnlvs2run
Growing Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area