gnomad2 e creative zen v

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: gnomad2 e creative zen v

Postby martaplt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 21:24

ReemZ wrote:.26? Sounds like SL 3.5 to me...that's not even supported anymore!

doing uname -a the shell says:

Linux localhost 2.6.26-sabayon #1 SMP Wed Oct 8 20:04:01 UTC 2008 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.50GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

So, I think it's a .26....
Anyway, next time I'll try to use Sulfur. With a graphical support hopefully I'll become more autonomous in solving my problems with sabayon (hopefully!)
martaplt
Baby Hen

Postby ReemZ » Thu Aug 13, 2009 22:02

martaplt wrote:
ReemZ wrote:.26? Sounds like SL 3.5 to me...that's not even supported anymore!

doing uname -a the shell says:

Linux localhost 2.6.26-sabayon #1 SMP Wed Oct 8 20:04:01 UTC 2008 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.50GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

So, I think it's a .26....
Anyway, next time I'll try to use Sulfur. With a graphical support hopefully I'll become more autonomous in solving my problems with sabayon (hopefully!)

I ment to say you're running on the 2.6.26 kernel, where I've installed SL (Sabayon Linux) 4.0-r1, which comes with the .27 kernel. The latest version, SL 4.2, runs a kernel in the thirties, I think.
Anyway, I'm using the first 4-version with the kernel that came with it (never upgraded it), which is one version after your kernel, so I assume you're also running an older version of SL than I am. Which would be branch 3, which is not supported anymore.
I doubt if Sulfur will work, it's probably still called Spritz (the old name) on your system...
Handtekening? Zeg...ik ga niet op m'n monitor schrijven!
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby martaplt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 22:08

ReemZ wrote:I doubt if Sulfur will work, it's probably still called Spritz (the old name) on your system...

Oh yes....I have Spritz...and I don't get along well with it :(
martaplt
Baby Hen

Postby ReemZ » Thu Aug 13, 2009 22:27

martaplt wrote:
ReemZ wrote:I doubt if Sulfur will work, it's probably still called Spritz (the old name) on your system...

Oh yes....I have Spritz...and I don't get along well with it :(

That's what I was afraid of.

You'd better update, try downloading the latest version of SL (careful now, Gnome and KDE come in separate versions now!)
Press Releases on KDE version and Gnome version, better read these prior to install.
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby martaplt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 22:35

ReemZ wrote:
You'd better update, try downloading the latest version of SL

oi oi...i have to find someone who can do this for me, too dangerous to try by myself!
thank you very much.
martaplt
Baby Hen

Postby ReemZ » Thu Aug 13, 2009 23:03

martaplt wrote:
ReemZ wrote:
You'd better update, try downloading the latest version of SL

oi oi...i have to find someone who can do this for me, too dangerous to try by myself!
thank you very much.

You..............did manage to install your current version, didn't you? ;)

Here's some help:
Introduction
Visual Tour: Booting Sabayon Linux Gnome or KDE
Visual Tour: Installing Sabayon Linux Gnome or KDE.
Very important: Learn the package manager! Here are the Wikis on Entropy, Equo and Sulfur (FKA Spritz).
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby martaplt » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:50

ReemZ wrote:

No, I didn't :oops:
martaplt
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 22:41

martaplt wrote:
ReemZ wrote:

No, I didn't :oops:

I don't want to put you off Sabayon or Linux but I think it may be a good idea to do a little practising at installing Linux systems. There is no easy way to learn how to use it and I'm afraid you're probably going to have to do some reading of the links you've been given and starting from scratch.
You also won't be pleased to hear that getting a Linux system to recognize and work with Creative products is very difficult. I had a Creative Zen 8GB MP3 player and was never able to get it working with Linux. Probably the only products that are easy to use with Linux are those made by Cowon.
Best of luck :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby martaplt » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:32

dunsurfin wrote:You also won't be pleased to hear that getting a Linux system to recognize and work with Creative products is very difficult. I had a Creative Zen 8GB MP3 player and was never able to get it working with Linux. Probably the only products that are easy to use with Linux are those made by Cowon.
Best of luck :)

Oh, but I did managed to use my Creative Zen with Sabayon and Gnomad2...or better still, my friend did manage. I don't know exactly how, installing some packages missing and then I don't know... Anyway, I think I'll get another version of Linux, one I can use by myself, without continually asking for help to other people, and possibly without having to read how it works (and not because of indifference, but because I don't have basis and I'd need too much time...I study political science, not IT)
Thank you all, you have been very kind! :D
martaplt
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:42

martaplt wrote:Oh, but I did managed to use my Creative Zen with Sabayon and Gnomad2..

That's good to read. :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area