mini-review

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

mini-review

Postby ewiget » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:09

A little background:
Im a regular gentoo user (tSp in gentoo forums) for several years now, but as much as I always bragged about gentoo to the other users in our LUG, I never recommended they use gentoo due to the time it takes to install it....which I felt is way too long for the average user who is often "impatient" and more often "intemidated" by learning a new OS.

I had been on a beta testing spree lately and found Sabayon via linuxtracker. Got it downloaded and installed and immediately fell in love with it...so I posted this short article on our web site to let other MLUG users know about it - http://www.maysville-linux-users-group. ... t-158.html

Please forgive my joking reference comment about sabayon "if ubuntu and gentoo concieved a child" - the reason I said that is because the bulk of regular MLUG users are using ubuntu and kubuntu for the simple fact that they ship us hundreds of free cd's to pass out at meetings.

Now I got to do that 3.1 upgrade. Is there anyway to simply upgrade via emerge system or emerge world?
ewiget
Simple Hen
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:00
Location: Maysville KY, USA

Postby nikaya » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:39

nikaya
Growing Hen
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 18:12
Location: Germany

Postby ewiget » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:29

thanks, when I first installed, the installer wanted to update Freespire by default but I simply blew it away since I was fed up with the same problems everyone else was having with freespire (first time I have ever not finished a review in over 13 years of using linux).

I knew there was an upgrade option in the installer, but what I was curious about is if emerge system or emerge world was the equivalent of doing the dvd upgrade - I saw a post where someone said their upgrade took 9 hours...yuck...I would have to stop my azureus seeds during upgrade. Is there any advantages/disadvantages of doing the dvd upgrade verses emerge system / emerge world (assuming that would be equivalent to the upgrade dvd....outside of the fact I have masked packages to deal with, but what else is new)

I may have just answered this myself...took a quick look at the make.conf expecting to find a binary option as default, wow....I bet it would take forever to emerge world with all those settings (but you got to remember, I am looking at this from a gentoo point of view)

I will just do the dvd upgrade, it will give me something else to write about.....sorry for the extended talking to self reply
ewiget
Simple Hen
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:00
Location: Maysville KY, USA

Postby nikaya » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:10

ewiget wrote:I may have just answered this myself...took a quick look at the make.conf

I will just do the dvd upgrade

Haha,yes my first look look at /etc/make.conf made me shocked. :shock: I'm a regular Gentoo-user too.But I understand it because it has to run on many machines and the most frequent user is.I think,not very familiar with Gentoo.There could be written a tutorial in this forum about cleaning it up and the necessary settings in make.conf.

Just the devs recommend to update via new CD/Anaconda.I think it is not the badest idea.Only additional packages,not included on CD/DVD must be installed/updated by portage.
But a "emerge -uavDN world" is not the sabayon-way to keep the system up-to-date.
nikaya
Growing Hen
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 18:12
Location: Germany

Postby ewiget » Sat Oct 14, 2006 15:35

back from my upgrade 3.0b to 3.1 dvd upgrade.....didn't take near as long as I thought and I even took snapshots/screenshots too.

I didn't do the reinstall everything option and the only issues I've had so far was that I had to re-run alsaconfig after my first boot cause sound wasn't working and kopete would lock up unless using the --noplugins option. Once I used that, then I disabled all plugins and shut it down, it then started up fine normally, re-enabled amarok plugin and restarted again - still working. kuickshow opens up images but they are black, but gwenview opens the same image and it is fine...weird, I just now realized this when looking at the start and stop time snapshots.

Total upgrade time on this system was less than 1 hour (started at 8:39 and finished at 9:26)

AMD64 3400+ Nvidia 7300GS 1GB

Also, ivtv was included as a module in 3.0b but not 3.1, so I had to emerge it and now I got to hunt down that gentoo wiki cause my pvr-150 tv tuner isn't working

One question - I am running the 32bit 3.1 dvd install on 64bit system because every 64bit linux has had severe stability problems with flash and java - does the 64bit 3.1 have any issues with flash and java plugins - especially noticeable at myspace.com and youtube.com?
ewiget
Simple Hen
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:00
Location: Maysville KY, USA

Postby wolfden » Sat Oct 14, 2006 16:20

I run the 32 bit system on a 64 bit system also due to the multimedia headache of fighting it to get it to work. I find it easier to get multimedia working in the 32 bit and the performance difference between 64 and 32 is not going to be noticed.

The 64bit does have the 32bit emulation tho. Firefox-bin is what you would want to use for those kinda things. I didn't have a problem with java and well flash is just in the hurt bag all the way around with version 7 being the latest. I struggled with the getting the video files to work, like .wmv. If I remember right, I couldn't get any google videos to play either.

I'm happy with the 32bit, but that is just me, your mileage may differ. You can alway fire up the livedvd of the 64 bit and give it whirl with the multimedia world to test it out.
wolfden
Sharecropper
 
Posts: 9051
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 0:55
Location: Midwest USA

Postby cvill64 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 19:15

I run 64bit on my amd64x2 and it works great, but then again I need the pure 64bit address handling to be able to run certain bioinformatics programs faster, gene optimization, net dynamic systems, etc. So I just live life with firefox-bin and all the plugins with that and it works just fine for me.

like wolfden safe, its really up to you :) glad to see it works pretty good for you. We're working on making those ivtv ebuilds better and such and work with the kernel better

let us know if you need anything, or join us on the irc channel, I love new faces that actually stick around :P
cvill64
Sagely Hen
 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:03
Location: Virginia, USA

Postby ewiget » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:26

cvill64 wrote:I run 64bit on my amd64x2 and it works great, but then again I need the pure 64bit address handling to be able to run certain bioinformatics programs faster, gene optimization, net dynamic systems, etc. So I just live life with firefox-bin and all the plugins with that and it works just fine for me.

like wolfden safe, its really up to you :) glad to see it works pretty good for you. We're working on making those ivtv ebuilds better and such and work with the kernel better

let us know if you need anything, or join us on the irc channel, I love new faces that actually stick around :P


When I tested true 64 bit, I didn't see a lot of performance differences in where this system is used, as a basic desktop that I do some development work on. I saw huge increase in things like mysqlsmash and other server load tests.

I will definately be sticking around, burned a dvd for a friend today and he installed it too. Im just still trying to figure out what all of these new stuff is I had never used before. Still trying to figure out package management, on gentoo its emerge, but here Im not so sure since I see ksynaptics, klik, and kuroo. Then I did an emerge sync today and found coreutils being blocked by base64 on a -puvD system. -puvD world complained x11-misc/cgwd-themes-extra-0.3 didn't exist....assume it was in an overlay directory? I haven't really had much time to look at the internals so I haven't added or udpated anything until I learn more.
ewiget
Simple Hen
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:00
Location: Maysville KY, USA

Postby smooth » Tue Oct 17, 2006 0:59

ewiget wrote:back from my upgrade 3.0b to 3.1 dvd upgrade.....didn't take near as long as I thought and I even took snapshots/screenshots too.

I didn't do the reinstall everything option and the only issues I've had so far was that I had to re-run alsaconfig after my first boot cause sound wasn't working and kopete would lock up unless using the --noplugins option. Once I used that, then I disabled all plugins and shut it down, it then started up fine normally, re-enabled amarok plugin and restarted again - still working. kuickshow opens up images but they are black, but gwenview opens the same image and it is fine...weird, I just now realized this when looking at the start and stop time snapshots.

Total upgrade time on this system was less than 1 hour (started at 8:39 and finished at 9:26)

AMD64 3400+ Nvidia 7300GS 1GB

Also, ivtv was included as a module in 3.0b but not 3.1, so I had to emerge it and now I got to hunt down that gentoo wiki cause my pvr-150 tv tuner isn't working

One question - I am running the 32bit 3.1 dvd install on 64bit system because every 64bit linux has had severe stability problems with flash and java - does the 64bit 3.1 have any issues with flash and java plugins - especially noticeable at myspace.com and youtube.com?



As a regular gentoo-er (and not sabayan user yet--just checking it out right now), I'd be interested in seeing that /etc/make.conf. If you wouldn't mind posting it...anyway, I use a dvr-500 and ivtv, which is basically two 150's so maybe I can give you some help. let me know.
smooth
Baby Hen
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 0:57

Postby cvill64 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:37

ewiget wrote:
cvill64 wrote:I run 64bit on my amd64x2 and it works great, but then again I need the pure 64bit address handling to be able to run certain bioinformatics programs faster, gene optimization, net dynamic systems, etc. So I just live life with firefox-bin and all the plugins with that and it works just fine for me.

like wolfden safe, its really up to you :) glad to see it works pretty good for you. We're working on making those ivtv ebuilds better and such and work with the kernel better

let us know if you need anything, or join us on the irc channel, I love new faces that actually stick around :P


When I tested true 64 bit, I didn't see a lot of performance differences in where this system is used, as a basic desktop that I do some development work on. I saw huge increase in things like mysqlsmash and other server load tests.

I will definately be sticking around, burned a dvd for a friend today and he installed it too. Im just still trying to figure out what all of these new stuff is I had never used before. Still trying to figure out package management, on gentoo its emerge, but here Im not so sure since I see ksynaptics, klik, and kuroo. Then I did an emerge sync today and found coreutils being blocked by base64 on a -puvD system. -puvD world complained x11-misc/cgwd-themes-extra-0.3 didn't exist....assume it was in an overlay directory? I haven't really had much time to look at the internals so I haven't added or udpated anything until I learn more.


never do an emerge world unless you know what you're doing !
cvill64
Sagely Hen
 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:03
Location: Virginia, USA

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests