An OS I tried..

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

An OS I tried..

Postby nishi » Wed Jul 29, 2009 21:19

I feel bad for even posting it on a linux related forum.. But hey.

Today I installed Windows 7 uppon suggestion from my brother (also a user of mainly linux operating systems). And he had nothing but good things to say about it.

However, upon installing it I realized that they did not support my graphics card for their "Aero" thing. Which is basicly making windows look good. Transparent task bar and windows.. Also the mac like task bar.

So really, whilst using it I have not noticed anything that is worthy of people paying another 200-300 bucks for a new os.

Sure it doesn't have the bugs of vista, and supports a lot more that was made for xp. But why not just stick with xp, and if your graphics can handle it, make it look like vista? Really does confuse me :]

Anyone else bother to try this out yet? Going to slap my brother when I next see him for the suggestion and waste of time.
nishi
Baby Hen

Re: An OS I tried..

Postby joeoden » Wed Jul 29, 2009 22:54

nishi wrote:So really, whilst using it I have not noticed anything that is worthy of people paying another 200-300 bucks for a new os

If I have to pay for it I don't want it, next time I purchase a notebook I will not be agreeing to the MS licence and of course if the dealer wont let me try a live DVD in it I wont buy it
I can remember seeing somebodies signature (can't remember who, and have to agree) goes something like
Why steal a operating system that's not worth buying!
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Re: A OS I tried..

Postby nishi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:31

Well, I do have to give ms credit on this one compared to others. Has worked flawlessly so far. Only one program has failed to launch and that was daemon tools. Plenty of alternatives for it that have.

However, the only reason I ever go back to Windows is for gaming. I just can't stand running games in wine and losing peformance, especialy on the low spec laptop I have. That and a lot of the games I do play, are not workable under wine the last time I tried. But, who knows. I did fall head over heels for sabayon, I prefer it to the others I have tried, including ubuntu. Or as I have nickanmed it ubindows.
nishi
Baby Hen

Re: An OS I tried..

Postby Thev00d00 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:28

Im waiting to get a legit rtm key. . . .
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Return to Off Topic