Google Chrome OS

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Google Chrome OS

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 13:19

:arrow: Google Chrome OS

I believe the new OS announced by Google is based on Linux. Anyone have any more information on it?

If Ubuntu was the best chance of getting Linux into the mainstream, Google may just have upped the ante. Microsoft must be reaching for the antacid tablets.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Google Chrome OS

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 15:18

From the article:

They want their data to be accessible to them wherever they are and not have to worry about losing their computer or forgetting to back up files.

That has me reaching for my antacids! :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Stupot » Wed Jul 08, 2009 17:31

FTA: "Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel"

The problem with having a browser run so many applications is that it adds a layer of virtualization/interpretation. I suppose that they are theoretically trying to bridge the gap between their internet browser and direct access to hardware control with the OS, but I don't think it's going to really take off. There are too many businesses out there that specifically do not want to be operating on a cloud. But that's just my two cents.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 18:23

It all looks quite positive to me. Anything that provides competition for Microsoft is a good thing and they may be forced to rethink some of their own restrictive practises. It is also bringing the Linux name into the news and that is good too. Like many people, I am concerned about how invasive Google is but, paradoxically, make good use of it's free email service and search facilities so can't complain too much. :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Azerthoth » Sat Jul 11, 2009 18:19

You can look at it a different way as well. MS got there nuts in a vice when they refused to release w/o their browser integrated, they said it could not be done. Well now that they are doing exactly that, it kind of puts the lie to it. Now with google, if the OS is the browser (as the ludites see it) then there is nothing to unbundle.

Neat trick, just bolt everything onto or through your browser.
Azerthoth
Simple Hen

Postby nishi » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:21

I think Microsoft will be fine at first. Have any of you tried Windows 7 yet :) Blows anything they have done before out of the water.

However I am looking forward to Chrome OS and hoping they do blow M$ out of the water.
nishi
Baby Hen

Postby JeremyJ » Wed Aug 05, 2009 13:21

im sure that Google Chrome would definitely bury Windows. Unfortunately most of the people got used to Windows and wont want a change. Jobs
@nishi havent tried windows 7 yet. whats so special about it ? Stellenmarkt
Last edited by JeremyJ on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:06, edited 2 times in total.
JeremyJ
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:09

MS silent on Chrome but not on Linux.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/05 ... cal_linux/

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to Off Topic