emerge -s finds only e17 YET equo search finds only e16 ???

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

emerge -s finds only e17 YET equo search finds only e16 ???

Postby joe3 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 22:49

I currently have both e16 & e17 versions of the enlightenment window manager installed to the sabayon 3.5 on my amd-64 laptop. I wanted to know if there were available upgrades for either or both of them. (currently I use e16 more than e17 because it's proven more stable on my computer...) But when I tried to find out what was available, (and verify the current version numbers of what was installed), what I got was confused. Though it does seems that I could emerge an updated version of e17...

I'm not really surprised that equo doesn't find the e17 in the enlightenment overlay... But since I have both enlightenment AND sabayon overlays, I'm surprised that emerge doesn't list both versions of enlightenment. Why is that?????

I note that I currently have a higher version of e16 than equo wants to offer. I think I remember that back in Feb, just before I got the enlightenment overlay working, I used emerge to update my e16 to version: 0.16.8.15...

Which is born out by the results I got when I googled 'sabayon enlightenment'. Which includes something I posted to the e-users mailing list which included a pasted result from an 'emerge --search enlightenment' which said version 0.16.8.15 was available and version 0.16.8.11 was installed. All I can think of to find out if there's an upgrade for the e16 would be to temporarily delete the enlightenment overlay, Then see what 'emerge -s enlightenment' says... Then after I'm done with any e16 updating, I could re-add the overlay.

But somehow that doesn't feel like the right solution...

Any suggestions???

--
joe3

-snipped. . . . . . . . . .stuff

UnderTree =-> emerge -s enlightenment
Searching...
[ Results for search key : enlightenment ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* x11-wm/enlightenment
Latest version available: 1.0.0
Latest version installed: 0.16.999.050
Size of files: 1,957 kB
Homepage: http://www.enlightenment.org/
Description: Enlightenment Window Manager
License: BSD

UnderTree =->

UnderTree =-> equo search enlightenment
>> @@ Searching...
>> #1 Sabayon Linux Official Repository
>> @@ Package: x11-wm/enlightenment-0.16.8.11 branch: 3.5
>> Category: x11-wm
>> Name: enlightenment
>> Masked: False
>> Available: version: 0.16.8.11 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 0
>> Installed: version: 0.16.8.15 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 9999
>> Slot: 0
>> Size: 1.0MB
>> Download: packages/amd64/3.5/x11-wm:enlightenment-0.16.8.11~0.tbz2
>> Checksum: c4571ec93fa3629a8d5583c902c7416e
>> ## Dependencies:
>> ## x11-libs/libX11
>> ## virtual/xft
>> ## x11-libs/libXext
>> ## x11-libs/libICE
>> ## x11-libs/libSM
>> ## x11-libs/libXrender
>> ## x11-libs/libXfixes
>> ## x11-misc/xbitmaps
>> ## x11-libs/libXrandr
>> ## x11-libs/libXinerama
>> ## >=media-libs/imlib2-1.3.0
>> ## virtual/libintl
>> ## x11-libs/libXxf86vm
>> ## virtual/libiconv
>> ## x11-libs/libXdamage
>> ## =media-libs/freetype-2*
>> ## Conflicts:
>> ## !<x11-misc/e16keyedit-0.3
>> Homepage: http://www.enlightenment.org/
>> Description: Enlightenment Window Manager
>> USE flags: nls -amd64 xinerama -elibc_glibc
>> -userland_GNU -kernel_linux
>> xrandr
>> Compiled with: -Os -march=x86-64 -pipe
>> Keywords: ~amd64 ~alpha ~hppa ~x86 ~x86-fbsd ~ia64 ~ppc ~sh ~sparc ~ppc64 ~arm
>> Created: 2008-02-04 14:59:27
>> License: BSD
>> Keyword: enlightenment
>> Found: 1 entries
UnderTree =->
joe3
Advanced Hen

Re: emerge -s finds only e17 YET equo search finds only e16 ???

Postby micia » Tue Jul 07, 2009 22:57

Sabayon 3.5 is pretty outdated, why don't you update it?
4.2 is out, and if I remember correctly, branch 3.5 reached its deadline:
http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=16703

So only emerge can be used.
Also enlightenment 0.17 is masked, there is a tutorial on how to install it
with entropy:
http://joostruis.blogspot.com/2009/04/e17-now-available-in-entropy.html
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Jul 07, 2009 23:44

also note that equo doesn't use overlays, that is portage

Sounds like you are mixing and confused on package managers. Portage will be always ahead of entropy
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby joe3 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:02

on 07 Jul 2009 micia did say:

-> Sabayon 3.5 is pretty outdated, why don't you update it?

Good question. And actually I no longer have a driving reason since my venerable desktop system finally kicked the bucket. I used 3.5 on the desktop because with 4 it dragged the processor down so far that sometimes I couldn't edit a text file with vim in a konsole without interrupting kaffeine's playback of my .wav files... Dang sure couldn't work on my lyx documents while listening to my music!

My laptop had it for uniformity. I tried to keep them comparable so my fingers would know what to expect from the next command (It feels like they always mess with keyboard centric methods when they upgrade stuff...) Now the only drawback is disk space. I used to install an upgrade on another partition, and only when I thought it worked better than the still running old version would it supplant it... But with my laptop I'll have to back-up my working 3.5 then cross my fingers and hope I can stand the theoretically improved version.

-> 4.2 is out, and if I remember correctly, branch 3.5 reached its deadline: So only emerge can be used.

I guess I'll have to try 4.2, I expect it will have better support for my amd-64 laptop than it would have had for the old 32 bit clunker so maybe upgrading won't hurt so much this time...

Thanks for the links. This short extractive from the first one gives me pause for concern however:

=> If you are still running Sabayon 3.5 or 3.51, be make sure to take
=> care of your upgrades prior to July 1, or you will need to do a
=> fresh install of a newer version.

Please tell me that I can still download the dvd, and select an "upgrade existing sabayon" option with reasonable hope of not having to really start from scratch????

-> Also enlightenment 0.17 is masked, there is a tutorial on how to install it with entropy:

Ah yes. things that are masked... I've found that the only sure way for me to totally hose a sabayon install is to try to get around it when something I need has been masked, or blocked. It seems to me that if I was any good at manipulating keywords and etc... I should be able to get a certain selection of applications added to a freshly installed system.

Aside from needing xine to actually play my dvd's (THANK YOU SABAYON FOR THAT USUALLY JUST WORKING!!!) There are a few applications that I NEED. Some of which are not always automatically installed with the linux version.

I depend heavily on:

*e16
*e17
*gnucash
*display
*gwenview or eqivilant
*ghostview or better ps viewer.
*kpdf or okular or I suppose evince
*speedcrunch
*ooffice
*kooka Or equivalent simple interface scanner application
*lyx (with whatever it currently takes for it to use document class book(more font sizes) and fancyheader
*And a version of firefox that CAN display {inline?} pdf's that want acroread as a plugin...

As well as the konsole applications of:

*pine or alpine (with fetchmail & procmail)
*mc
*vim

If I run into a brick wall getting any one of those, I'll wind up restoring the backed up 3.5 system...

I sometimes suspected it might even matter in what order I emerge/(and/or)"equo install" them. Though it is possible that many of the problems I had on the desktop stemmed from the archaic rage 128 video card which no longer worked with the standard ati driver set...

But in case that wasn't the problem:

Any suggestions on which order I should install them. Or when to use equo instead of emerge, and or what keywords I should use to make sure I get them all. Would be most welcome...

--
joe3
joe3
Advanced Hen

Postby joe3 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:11

on 07 Jul 2009 wolfden did say:

-> also note that equo doesn't use overlays, that is portage

Yeah, I did mention that I wasn't surprised that equo didn't offer the e17 from the overlay... I just couldn't figure why emerge didn't find a version of e16...

-> Sounds like you are mixing and confused on package managers. Portage will be always ahead of entropy

Well, I think i've heard that if I don't muck with the default keywords, or masked and unmasked much, mixing the two isn't likely to do much damage... Though to be sure, I doubt I'll ever understand either one of them half as well as you do Wolfden. It's not that I can't learn. It just seams like I just can't retain it all long enough to get good at it. I'll finally get my system working, then I'll spend my time actually using it instead of continuously reconfiguring it. And when a few months later I suddenly need to upgrade something else, I've forgeten most of how I did it last time. <sigh> I think it's CRS (Can't Remember Sh^Htuff)

Actually I'd prefer equo's user interface, if I could always get what I wanted with it... But I've learned to depend more heavily on emerge.

I usually only fall back on equo when emerge bumps into blocks and/or masked items that I lack the skill to resolve (sometimes the version offered by equo doesn't yet require the blocked or masked version of what ever dependency stopped emerge...)

Well that, and anytime emerge tells me I need to update some config file I tend to cheat and run 'equo conf update' instead of rereading man emerge for the syntax of the find command to locate the durned things with...

--
joe3

Those who can, think nothing of tweaking their mask, unmask, and keyword lists.
Those who can't, wing it, pray, and often as not reinstall linux from the dvd...
joe3
Advanced Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:22

entropy is always growing and don't be afraid to submit a package request if not in entropy, but you are gonna want to be very careful with what emerge pulls on a 3.5 system, even on 4.2. Things like python can and will leave ya in pain.

also note - make sure you have the latest portage that is masked, unmasked as it will automatically resolve most blocks.

:)
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby joe3 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:53

on 08 Jul 2009 wolfden did say:

-> also note - make sure you have the latest portage that is masked, unmasked as it will automatically resolve most blocks.

Now THAT is useful information...

If I just successfully re-grokked the syntax via:
'cat /etc/portage/package.unmask' then something like:

echo '>=sys-apps/portage-2.1.6.13'>>/etc/portage/package.unmask

(only with the correct version numbers) should do it???

I'm not sure if the "Latest version available:" according to: 'emerge -s portage' on my current 3.5 is the same as the same emerge search on 4.2 would say. AND I'm not sure if it would say the blocked package was the "Latest version available:"

I'd just ask which version will successfully automatically resolve most blocks. But I suspect I'd be better off knowing a little bit of how to fish for it...

Speaking of which, It just occured to me that if I had that version of portage unmasked on 4.2, And I listed all of my prereqrisit applications in the same emerge command, (instead of several single application emerges) it might just maybe know in which order to upgrade/install what to prevent package A from blocking package B. Is this tactic recomended???
--
joe3
joe3
Advanced Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:21

joe3 wrote:I'm not sure if the "Latest version available:" according to: 'emerge -s portage' on my current 3.5 is the same as the same emerge search on 4.2 would say. AND I'm not sure if it would say the blocked package was the "Latest version available:"

If you keep the Portage tree up to date on your PC then emerge --search will show the latest versions of packages, whatever the version of SL you originally installed. To synchronise your local Portage tree with the Gentoo ebuild repository all you need to do, as the root user, is:

Code: Select all
emerge --sync

Likewise, to ensure that the ebuilds in the Sabayon overlay of the Portage tree on your PC are up to date all you need to do, as the root user, is:

layman -S

Then when you type emerge -s portage you will see something like the following (I've omitted everything except for the portage package itself):

*  sys-apps/portage
      Latest version available: 2.1.6.13
      Latest version installed: 2.2_rc33
      Size of files: 732 kB
      Homepage:      http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/index.xml
      Description:   Portage is the package management and distribution system for Gentoo
      License:       GPL-2

So you can see that, in my case, I have the version 2.2_rc33 installed. Notice that emerge --search reports the latest version available as lower than the version installed on my PC. This is because the latest version is masked in the Portage tree.

As you see, emerge -s (emerge --search) is not very informative. If you haven't already done so, why don't you install the eix utility, as that gives far more information. To install it you would just need to enter the command emerge eix. Below I show the output if I type eix portage (again I have omitted everything except for the portage package itself):

[D] sys-apps/portage
     Available versions:  2.1.4.5 2.1.6.7 2.1.6.13 [M](~)2.2_rc33 {build doc epydoc linguas_pl selinux}
     Installed versions:  2.2_rc33(09:33:38 PM 05/30/2009)(linguas_pl -build -doc -epydoc -selinux)
     Homepage:            http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/index.xml
     Description:         Portage is the package management and distribution system for Gentoo

Found 5 matches.

Notice that eix provides much more information on the package I searched for. For example, it is telling me that the latest version, 2.2_rc33, is hard-masked (that's what the "[M]" means). You can see the version currently installed on my PC, along with the time and date I installed it and the USE flags used for its installation, in the above output from the eix command. If you're using Portage then the only way to install a masked package would be to add an entry to the file /etc/portage/package.unmask as you have written (but you need a space before and after the ">>").

If you do install eix, don't forget to type the command update-eix after you resynchronise your main Portage tree and the Sabayon overlay, and also after you install/update/uninstall packages, otherwise eix will not give you the correct information. This is needed because eix has an internal database and the update-eix command keeps it up to date.

If you have not been keeping your Portage tree and Entropy database synchronised with their respective repositories then you may find that you get some error messages if you try to synchronise them. In that case see the commands listed in the section Fresh Install - What to do? of the SL Wiki article on Entropy.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:37

joe3 wrote: on 08 Jul 2009 wolfden did say:

-> also note - make sure you have the latest portage that is masked, unmasked as it will automatically resolve most blocks.

Now THAT is useful information...

If I just successfully re-grokked the syntax via:
'cat /etc/portage/package.unmask' then something like:

echo '>=sys-apps/portage-2.1.6.13'>>/etc/portage/package.unmask

(only with the correct version numbers) should do it???

I'm not sure if the "Latest version available:" according to: 'emerge -s portage' on my current 3.5 is the same as the same emerge search on 4.2 would say. AND I'm not sure if it would say the blocked package was the "Latest version available:"

I'd just ask which version will successfully automatically resolve most blocks. But I suspect I'd be better off knowing a little bit of how to fish for it...

Speaking of which, It just occured to me that if I had that version of portage unmasked on 4.2, And I listed all of my prereqrisit applications in the same emerge command, (instead of several single application emerges) it might just maybe know in which order to upgrade/install what to prevent package A from blocking package B. Is this tactic recomended???
--
joe3

for unmask all u need to add is sys-apps/portage
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby joe3 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 17:47

Fitzcarraldo wrote: To synchronise your local Portage tree with the Gentoo ebuild repository all you need to do, as the root user, is:

emerge --sync

Likewise, to ensure that the ebuilds in the Sabayon overlay of the Portage tree on your PC are up to date all you need to do, as the root user, is:

layman -S

If you do install eix, don't forget to type the command update-eix after you resynchronise your main Portage tree and the Sabayon overlay, and also after you install/update/uninstall packages, otherwise eix will not give you the correct information. This is needed because eix has an internal database and the update-eix command keeps it up to date.

Yeah, eix Is better at finding what I'm searching for... But I'm curious, If I need to do the eix-update every time I resynchronise the portage tree anyway, Why shouldn't I just use eix-sync and let eix run the emerge --sync for me??
I noticed it will then automaticaly run the eix-update function... And I'm not sure if I should still do a layman -S?

Thanks
--
joe3
joe3
Advanced Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers