Where is the Linux source for Sabayon 4.1 KDE? [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Where is the Linux source for Sabayon 4.1 KDE? [Solved]

Postby Arik_Chen » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:24

I am compiling a package, however, it requires the linux source tree, where can I find it?
I definitely do not want to recompile my kernel.
Arik_Chen
Simple Hen

Re: Where is the Linux source for Sabayon 4.1 KDE ditro?

Postby wolfden » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:31

moved to correct forum - not an installation issue

if using portage - emerge linux-sabayon
if using entropy - equo install linux-sabayon
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Where is the Linux source for Sabayon 4.1 KDE ditro?

Postby Arik_Chen » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:47

wolfden wrote:moved to correct forum - not an installation issue

if using portage - emerge linux-sabayon
if using entropy - equo install linux-sabayon

Sry, thanks anyway.
Arik_Chen
Simple Hen

Re: Where is the Linux source for Sabayon 4.1 KDE? [Solved]

Postby Arik_Chen » Tue Jul 07, 2009 18:13

Hi, I find that emerge linux-sabayon will rebuild the kernel also. I only want it install the source code, is that possible?
Arik_Chen
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Jul 07, 2009 21:36

it does not rebuild the kernel, it installs the sources
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Arik_Chen » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:25

The description of this entry is official sabayon linux standard kernel image, will it install the image or not?
Arik_Chen
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:39

Don't know about Entropy, but the ebuild linux-sabayon-2.6.30.ebuild does compile and install the kernel. The ebuild linux-sabayon-sources-2.6.30.ebuild is the one that just installs the kernel source code. But in the Sabayon overlay the only version of the linux-sabayon-sources ebuild is for kernel version 2.6.30. However, the ebuild linux-sabayon-2.6.29.ebuild can be made to only download the sources and not compile the kernel if you use the only_sources USE flag:

Code: Select all
USE="only_sources" emerge =linux-sabayon-2.6.29

So, if you're trying to install just the sources for an existing 2.6.29 kernel, just use the above command. If you don't use the only_sources USE flag then the kernel will be compiled and installed.

By the way, if you install the eix utility (via Entropy or Portage) then you can use it to see all the available USE flags for a package, as well as the USE flags that were used to build the version currently installed on your PC (if it is installed, that is). To use the eix command all you need to do is enter the command eix <package name>. For example:

eix linux-sabayon

but don't forget to use the update-eix command to update eix's database after you install/update/uninstall any packages, otherwise eix won't know about the change.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Arik_Chen » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:11

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Don't know about Entropy, but the ebuild linux-sabayon-2.6.30.ebuild does compile and install the kernel. The ebuild linux-sabayon-sources-2.6.30.ebuild is the one that just installs the kernel source code. But in the Sabayon overlay the only version of the linux-sabayon-sources ebuild is for kernel version 2.6.30. However, the ebuild linux-sabayon-2.6.29.ebuild can be made to only download the sources and not compile the kernel if you use the only_sources USE flag:

USE="only_sources" emerge =linux-sabayon-2.6.29

So, if you're trying to install just the sources for an existing 2.6.29 kernel, just use the above command. If you don't use the only_sources USE flag then the kernel will be compiled and installed.

yes, i am talking about portage. I have used the same way to emerge the source code, however, it turns out really ONLY SOURCE, it will delete the kernel and initramfs in your /boot. So, I think this is not a good way to install linux source tree.
Arik_Chen
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:38

Interesting. Then perhaps it should be:

USE="only_sources -grub -splash" emerge =linux-sabayon-2.6.29

although, looking at the ebuild in the overlay repository (linux-sabayon-2.6.29.ebuild), I'm not sure as I'm no Bash expert. If only_sources is specified then the IF statements seem to omit all the removals, but perhaps those two lines in pkg_postinst() just before the two einfo commands do it.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Arik_Chen » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:22

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Interesting. Then perhaps it should be:

USE="only_sources -grub -splash" emerge =linux-sabayon-2.6.29

although, looking at the ebuild in the overlay repository (linux-sabayon-2.6.29.ebuild), I'm not sure as I'm no Bash expert. If only_sources is specified then the IF statements seem to omit all the removals, but perhaps those two lines in pkg_postinst() just before the two einfo commands do it.

Oh, yes. this way works. thanks a lot. Is it a bug? when not add "-grub -splash", the kernel image is removed?
Arik_Chen
Simple Hen

Next

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers