DAILY_x86_K.iso on USB: black screen after boot

If you are using the daily ISO, please report issues here to keep confusion down in other forums. Questions or issues with Molecule also here

Moderator: Moderators

Martux
Simple Hen

DAILY_x86_K.iso on USB: black screen after boot

Post by Martux » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:05

Hi guys!

I got the daily kde iso from 9/9/2012 and installed it on a usb drive with unetbootbin and LiLi.
All I get after selecting the desired boot option is a black screen infinetely. Also the different boot options or cheat codes don't work. A older daily image installed with the same method work just normally. Any ideas on this?

wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: DAILY_x86_K.iso on USB: black screen after boot

Post by wolfden » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:28

try a newer daily?

otherwise provide more info, but kinda pointless on old iso file

Martux
Simple Hen

Post by Martux » Thu Oct 04, 2012 18:40

Man, I am in the Philippines, with a connection that allows 800MB download per day... Even with wget I was not able to "split-download" any of those ISOs. That one was sent to me by a friend in Germany :) So what kind of more information could I provide?

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:11

It's pretty much impossible for us to go back and take a look at an old daily release.

Your options are to get a hold of a new release (preferably the official Sabayon 10 release) and install or you could use the older one that worked and update things. Updating is problematic with such a limited connection, but not impossible by any means.

Martux
Simple Hen

Post by Martux » Fri Oct 05, 2012 19:22

Thanks, that is what I was thinking.
Actually what I really miss is a "minimal live image" which then could be built up with whatever choice of desktop the user has, of course also with a choice of stable/most recent packages. That would also minimize traffic on Sabayon's servers a lot I guess?
So far, after an installation of Sabayon I was always busy of getting rid of all the unwanted stuff that comes along...

Jomiel
Growing Hen

Post by Jomiel » Fri Oct 05, 2012 21:36

There is the CoreCDX Version that uses about 650MB. It only uses the core applications and comes without a DE (you can choose whichever DE you want).

Martux
Simple Hen

Post by Martux » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:40

@Jomiel: Thanks for pointing that out. When I was last checking the CoreCDX, it was not updated as frequent as the desktop versions. Just downloaded it now :)
How do I proceed to get a minimal KDE installation from there?

Martux
Simple Hen

Post by Martux » Tue Oct 09, 2012 16:00

Here is what I did: After downloading the 10_CoreCDX.iso I browsed through the package list of my Gentoo installation and used that as a basis for a clean, small KDE installation with equo.
Am I correct that there are no sets for this? Why? It would be a beautiful way to provide the not-so-experienced-users with robust preselections like "kde-minimal" and so on...
Besides that, I love it. I love how my experience with Gentoo helps me with Sabayon and that the config files are actually where I expect them :)
It seems that my search for a reliable, easy-to-maintain binary distro has come to an end.

Martux
Simple Hen

Post by Martux » Wed Oct 10, 2012 16:23

Well, seems like I was too fast. The above mentioned worked well within a Virtual machine. As soon as I tried to use the USB stick with the CoreCDX, gues what? Just the same black screen issue as before :( Of course I tried all the boot parameters :(

Johnny Who
Simple Hen

Post by Johnny Who » Fri Oct 26, 2012 15:24

Is it a kernel panic probably? I have had such issues with other distros, but it depends on the disk drive. You could probably try booting from usb drive.