Possible to create LiveCD from installed system?

If you are using the daily ISO, please report issues here to keep confusion down in other forums. Questions or issues with Molecule also here

Moderator: Moderators

sqlpython
Technological Hen

Re: Possible to create LiveCD from installed system?

Post by sqlpython » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:25

Here is one from Calculate Linux which you might find interesting and useful.
http://www.calculate-linux.org/main/en/ ... stem_build

I have intended on Using a Calculate Linux install to make LiveCD for over a year now.
Still on my To Do list.. :lol:
Criticism accepted for Solutions that work. ;^)
Sabayon 13-DEBIAN 8- #! -Sid-Slackware 14-Calculate 13-Bridge

Nick_Djinn
Young Hen

Post by Nick_Djinn » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:12

I wish I had the skill level to try that first method. It looks like it could work.

Another solution I thought of would be if you could make a tar.gz of your individual apps that require custom settings, like firefox......I mean, is there a reason why you couldnt take a snapshot of your browser with all the addons and settings, then turn it into tarball or binary package? That way its not a snapshot of the whole OS, but just the parts that need customizing individually, and the rest you build normally with molecule.

Im not a power user. Does my theory hold water?

gluni
Baby Hen

Post by gluni » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:16

so in other words we are all waiting for someone more qualified to adapt those gentoo scripts to sabayon.

Nick_Djinn
Young Hen

Post by Nick_Djinn » Thu Sep 29, 2011 21:05

gluni wrote:so in other words we are all waiting for someone more qualified to adapt those gentoo scripts to sabayon.
+5

And a live system needs compression for the ISO to fit on a DVD. I dont know how to compress an entire partition and still make it mountable with a boot-loader. It seems that only certain things CAN be compressed in a live session, and some intelligent software needs to DE-compress it.

We already have a 'way' of getting this done. What we need is for somebody to package it in a nice GUI for us.

Ill donate money for it. Anyone else willing to chip in $100 to make this a reality? Smaller donations? I need a live session saved, so that settings and docky and news aggregation widgets and firefox addons and settings are all present in a live INSTALLABLE system. It needs to be an install disk creator in addition to a live session.

gluni
Baby Hen

Post by gluni » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:25

you might wanne offer the money also to the guy from topas.ch. after all he knows his scipts best.

gluni
Baby Hen

Post by gluni » Tue Oct 11, 2011 17:50

Actually, a way to use the topasnet.ch scripts with sabayon would be to convert his gentoo system into a sabayon system, by installing entropy from the sabayon overlay and then you can just use sabyon repository to update the system using binaries instead of source.
his scripts should still work.

kernel updates might be tricky, since they rewrite the initramfs and i dont know how compatible the sabayon kernel config is with the one he used.

necrose
Baby Hen

Post by necrose » Fri Mar 01, 2013 23:46

I have nagged the Gentoo devs for as well as sumitted a sabayon bug ticket for Qt4-Fsarchiver a Front end to fsarchiver , it can clone systems even if you use ext2 to an ext4 drive etc.

however , the one tool equo dosnt have is a txt file dump, of system packages, edit the packages list in molecule give it an iso , and valla out comes a new iso with packages added. , as some of the live DVD's fit my needs for some tasks

however I would simply like to add some packages. other than sabayon forensics the lists you need are on most ftp mirrors.

I am rather eager to meddle with it.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:51

Package list for forensics?
ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr ... so.pkglist

As far as Qt4-Fsarchiver, I spoke with one of the packagers and I don't remember for sure, but there was an issue with it, that is why it's not in entropy and probably why gentoo doesn't have it in portage either. I don't remember what the issue was now.

albfneto
Sagely Hen

Post by albfneto » Fri Mar 08, 2013 13:48

making an Live DVD of one installed linux is possible, with commands, makeisofs, etc,,, but difficult.

a simple procedure: With an booted Gparted (as Gparted Live CD or Parted Magic), COPY You Linux Root partition and your Home Partition to another free, unlocated "parts" of you HDD, or to another HDD, pendrives etc,,,

When something wrong occured with your installation, you may "RE-COPY" These partitions, "into, overwriting" the original localizations, the original partitions.

If necessary, correct the Grub lines in order to access.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE

ErnieNL
Baby Hen

Post by ErnieNL » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:42

To give it a bump (and such...)

I actually did this exact thing with Mint17 (I got bored...)
Manage to create a livecd (usb, what you want..)from my RUNNING install, with an installer build in to it, and customized to the bone.

The proces is rather easy and simpel if you think 'bout it, I'm 'bout to try it on my Sabayon install but before I can try it I need to make a decent full backup of my current Sabayon install.
Since I'm using Sabayon for about a week now, I'm still kind of in the "play and discover mode", but I really like the whole thing..

Anyways... Livecd...
Like I said, its rather easy if you think about it..
The whole force (and it's magic) is the squashfs usage. So if you create a squashfs file of your running system, copy/overwrite this with the one on the original livecd...
Voila... You've reached your destination :-)
Want the whole thing with an install option? No problemo, just install the installer (right...) right before you create the squashfs file...

This worked like a charm in Mint17 (and therefore in all Deb. based distro's I guess), but honest, at this point I've got no scooby 'bout how this goes for Sabayon...

Create the squashfs ain't that much of a fuss, copy/paste the following line in your terminal of choice, modify the settings in that line to your system and needs, and run as root.
Result is a nice clean squashfs file (a 12GB install, becomes about 2,9GB), copy/overwrite it to a copy of the original Sabayon livecd and try it..

da code:
mksquashfs /media/root/ /media/projX/Data/filesystem.squashfs -no-duplicates -e /mnt /home /dev

DO NOTE: replace /media/root/ with your SOURCE filesystem, and replace /media/projX... with the destination! Ideally this would be another hdd... LEAVE THE NO-DUPLICATES OPTION AS IS!! Last but not least -e /mnt /home etc indicates folders to exclude (hinch why -e..) You really want to add stuff like /proc, mountpoints. Otherwise your resulting file might get.. erm.. rather big hehe

Final thought comes to mind... Since Mint didn't care about kernel versions for this mather (vmlinux and initramfs used to boot livecd and the kernel inside the squashfs didn't need to be the same. My squashfs had the latest kernel installed, while the livecd was running behind. Result, running livecd uname -r gave the kernel version the livecd was running from, after completing the install uname -r gave the kernel version I had allready pre baked in Mint.

Again, this trick in Mint resulted in a installeble version of my customized install. So all the apps, software, settings, desktop theme's and even brwoser history was installed to the other system.
I used it as a backup tool... Fun to play arround, try stuff.. The whole things gets fucked?? Plugin usb drive reboot, hit install and within 10 minutes your back in the game, right where you were before messing things up.

Bit of a disclaimer... I'm not responsible for any data-loss or other losses (data, hardware or your mind) in case something goes wrong...
Discovering Sabayon, by using as platform:
HP DC7900 - Intel Q9400 (4core 2,67Ghz 6mb L2 13333Mhz bus) 8GB Crucial DDR2, 2x 128GB Kingston SSD (Raid-0), ATI Radeon HD6750, Logitech K330 kb, Logitech T650 Trackpad