Brand new install Gnome and /or KDE

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

greendave
Baby Hen

Brand new install Gnome and /or KDE

Post by greendave » Sat May 30, 2020 0:06

SO.....thought I would return to look at Sabayon after a few years away....
Installed, no problem, looked at the wiki, ok....a bit confusing as the new install said upgrade available.....
I went with the install.....it eventually said something was broken....had to install something first.....to no avail, it just sat there.....saying ....well nothing really.......
Htop says nowt happennng......

Reboot.....back to desk top, this time follow the instruction from Wiki...... get to the same point as before.....system will break, unless you update this bit
rudely " something about sys apps lib migration"

apologies for inaccuracy here, but the description is "newbies". and Im tired now......Point being being this is not an easy system to install.....cannot upgrade "outta the box" as it were.....After pressing 2 and enter about a hundred times..... .system is just sat there now saying ....... Package phase : setup

Sabayon Lib Migration Check seems a major issue/problem for me.....

Please, what am I missing as a Newbie , although returning as a once was fan boy.....Frusrated and tired.....sorry!!!

dave

greendave
Baby Hen

Re: Brand new install Gnome and /or KDE

Post by greendave » Sat May 30, 2020 12:06

So, try again....just booted into Gnome....and a notice drops down...7 updates available.....So, I update now....and watch the code scrolling down....It stops at:
! The process has been stopped. Press Control+C once or twice
* ! and make sure the package manager does not continue, and see the error above.
So, I look at:
╠ ## Unpacking: sys-apps:sabayon-lib-migration-check-1.75ddb00304578a61e683d69fccee3ceb088b70c1~2.tbz2
╠ ## Package phase: setup
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Nov 5 2018 /lib -> lib64
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 May 29 20:07 /lib.new
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar 21 2019 /lib32
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root 12288 Mar 22 2019 /lib64
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Nov 4 2018 /usr/lib -> lib64
drwxr-xr-x 92 root root 73728 May 29 20:09 /usr/lib.new
drwxr-xr-x 62 root root 73728 May 29 19:31 /usr/lib32
drwxr-xr-x 179 root root 147456 May 29 19:31 /usr/lib64
drwxr-xr-x 28 root root 12288 Mar 22 2019 /usr/libexec
* Profile migration was supposed to have been done by sys-apps/sabayon-lib-migration
* but it is not the case.
* If it didn't get installed, install it now as THE FIRST AND ONLY PACKAGE.
* If it tried to install but failed, refer to information printed by that package.
* Stopping now. DO NOT CONTINUE THE UPGRADE UNLESS sys-apps/sabayon-lib-migration IS INSTALLED WITHOUT ERROR.
* OTHERWISE YOUR SYSTEM WILL BE BROKEN.
* ! The process has been stopped. Press Control+C once or twice
* ! and make sure the package manager does not continue, and see the error above.

So, how do I get around this....I have tried equo install sys-apps/sabayon-lib-migration

System scrolls code, and stops at
## Unpacking: sys-apps:sabayon-lib-migration-check-1.75ddb00304578a61e683d69fccee3ceb088b70c1~2.tbz2
╠ ## Package phase: setup

And then nothing....just sits there doing nothing...

I have also tried the methoD described in WIKI, ABOUT UPDATING AFTER FRESH INSTALL.....the same result....

What am I missing Guys.....

Dave

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Sun May 31, 2020 16:48

Just to be clear, what you're seeing isn't the intended outcome. The sabayon-lib-migration is supposed to make it easy for you, but clearly it isn't working as intended. We'll need a dev to take a look at it.

What version of Sabayon are you installing? If you're doing a fresh install of a recent Sabayon image, you shouldn't need to do a sabayon-lib-migration, things should already be migrated, so that seems odd to me.

greendave
Baby Hen

Post by greendave » Sat Jun 13, 2020 20:17

Hi Stupot,
its a brand new download of 19.03. I tried both KDE and then Gnome....both have this issue for me....

Dave

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Mon Jun 15, 2020 18:39

Yeah, 19.03 is pretty old at this point. We need to make a new official iso release, but until then, I suggest grabbing one of the daily builds and giving it a go: http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/ ... daily.html
You won't have to deal with the lib migration, since what you install will already have that done.

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Mon Jun 15, 2020 21:29

At this point it is impossible to upgrade 19.03 to current. Use a daily image.

We are looking into creating a new "release" but we have some technical issues we need to overcome first.
If you use a daily build you should be fine though.
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

greendave
Baby Hen

Post by greendave » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:10

OK guys, thanks for the direction....Should you not remove the 19.03 download then?? And just point the download site to daily builds.....
I will give it a go, and nice to know its not me doing something wrong...

Many thanks again
dave