Rigo - why updates without asking for a password?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

kris-kris
Young Hen

Rigo - why updates without asking for a password?

Post by kris-kris » Fri May 29, 2020 3:57

Why does Rigo update the system after clicking update and does not require a password? This is to be the case, is this a bug in Rigo? Can you set Rigo to require a password when updating the system?

dave_64
Advanced Hen

Re: Rigo - why updates without asking for a password?

Post by dave_64 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:50

An "update" is not an "upgrade". The update does not need superuser access. It is merely checking the repository (against your installed packages), and returning a list of the packages available for your system. An "upgrade" installs the packages listed by the update. From a terminal, gain root access, and issue the upgrade command:
equo upgrade

kris-kris
Young Hen

Post by kris-kris » Fri May 29, 2020 6:51

My English is poor and I write with transtator. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Checks for updates without a password, that's fine, but then installs updates (upgrade) without a password when you click the update button (update system), and you should be prompted to enter the administrator password before installing, updating packages. Execute the equo upgrade command without asking for a password.

dave_64
Advanced Hen

Post by dave_64 » Fri May 29, 2020 19:12

I don't know what to tell you. It seems you are running as root. You should not go to any websites as root (security issues). Maybe you made a mistake during the installation of Sabayon. Can you access the package manager from the terminal as a "user" (without gaining root access)? Hopefully, somebody else can jump in here and help you.

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Fri May 29, 2020 21:20

No.The update process doesn't ask root password in Rigo 'cause you're a member of Entropy group , but for remove or install something packages during th e upgrade process , Rigo will ask you the root password

If you remove your user from entropy group , rigo doesn't start anymore as user privileges.