How to upgrade few years old installation? Its redownloading lots of packages and after that fail..

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

joost
Sagely Hen

Re: How to upgrade few years old installation? Its redownloading lots of packages and after that fail..

Post by joost » Fri Jun 19, 2020 19:27

So the problem is, we need a portage package from just before the libmigration event and one that still supports Python 2.7.
I now have the idea to boot an iso image from just before that time, generate an install-able portage package from that env.

equo smart quickpkg portage

would generate a tarball that you could copy to your outdated system and than install using: equo install <filename.tbz2>
We might need to append --nodeps to this command. I'm going to give this a try.
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

joost
Sagely Hen

Re: How to upgrade few years old installation? Its redownloading lots of packages and after that fail..

Post by joost » Fri Jun 19, 2020 19:52

** Before you try this, backup your important work **
** I only tested this on 1 system, maybe I was just lucky **

Ok this seems to work, though it is a bit ugly at first but it makes sense. This Portage version still has python 2.7 support and was created before libmigration.

Download this file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_J3Mhk ... sp=sharing

Then on your system where you are stuck. (mind you, you have NOT started libmigration yet!)

Code: Select all

equo install sys-apps_portage-2.3.69.00b47f1975ca767d5b4142c44289e880f337b1fb_1.tbz2 --nodeps
YES. It generates ugly output, do not worry about it now.

Once done. Make sure you have enough free diskspace! This upgrade can be very big!
Now we go ahead:

equo update

equo upgrade
If all is done, we might end up with packages installed that are not in Entropy anymore:

equo upgrade --purge
If you upgraded from a very old installation, it's possible that the kernel you used was dropped, so maybe you best move to a newer LTS kernel

kernel-switcher list
Example how to switch to a newer kernel:

kernel-switcher switch sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-5.4.38
If all is upgraded, you installed a new kernel, you can reclaim some space on the disk by removing all the downloaded upgrade packages:

equo cleanup
There is a known issue with lightdm that might cause a problem. If you use lightdm and after upgrade you get into a shell:

systemctl disable lightdm
systemctl enable lightdm
systemctl start lightdm
Minor issue I had was that caja on MATE would not start. I reinstalled sys-libs/libselinux and that resolved it.
Still have to investigate why that is needed.
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron