Steam will not launch any games with proton [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

hydran
Young Hen

Steam will not launch any games with proton [Solved]

Post by hydran » Thu Mar 26, 2020 21:13

I have nvidia drivers installed and working, and linux native games will run without issue, but when I try to launch any games with proton they will not run. I searched on how to create a log and this is what I get when I try running Doom ( 2016):

======================
Proton: 1584918606 proton-5.0-5b
SteamGameId: 379720
Command: ['/home/hydran/Raptor/Steam_Raptor/steamapps/common/DOOM/DOOMx64.exe']
Options: {'wined3d', 'forcelgadd'}
======================

This happens whether the game is on a separate partition or my home partition. I have tried both. It also happens regardless of what proton version I try to use. Please help?

hydran
Young Hen

Re: Steam will not launch any games with proton

Post by hydran » Fri Mar 27, 2020 15:43

I made some headway with my issue if anyone can help me out. Once proton was installed I took a look at /tmp/dumps and looked at the stdout log. It indicated that the wine binary couldn't be found. I looked in the proton folder and none of the directories containing the wine binaries or other files had been created, but there was a proton_dist.tar file and it had all those directories inside. So it seems that they didn't extract on their own when steam downloaded and installed proton for some reason? I extracted the files but they didn't all extract. /dosdevices wasn't created. So I extracted that manually with ark. Did this for all versions of proton that I Installed. I then managed to get DOOM to run flawlessly. Once. Now I am back to nothing working and I don't know why. Stdout is saying wine can't find an .exe that definitely exists in the directory that it is looking in.

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Fri Mar 27, 2020 15:52

If you need Wine :

Code: Select all

# equo i app-emulation/wine-staging

hydran
Young Hen

Post by hydran » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:12

I got everything working. Proton hates ntfs partitions. Among other things. Where can I delete my old posts?

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Sat Mar 28, 2020 13:19

No need to delete your posts.