Everything is on fire after system upgrade

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

hydran
Young Hen

Everything is on fire after system upgrade

Post by hydran » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:18

Hi there. I am an on-and off again user of Sabayon. I really like the distro, the looks of it, and Rigo and Equo are great. I have fun using it. When it works. Which is not most of the time. That's where the "off again" comes in. Recently I decided to give it another go and downloaded the KDE 19.03 iso and used netbootin to create a USB installer. Which then failed to boot. So I burned the image on a DVD like god intended and got to the live desktop to begin my installation..

The install was fairly easy. I despise it. I despise it because there is no advanced install option which would (probably) assuage a lot of my other issues, which we will get to. I have an Nvidia 1080Ti. When I go through the installer and reboot to my desktop I am under the impression that things are working. Then I try to install steam which prompts an hour-long system upgrade. Reboot. Black screen-white cursor. Hello nouveau, my old nemesis. Remember when I said I want an advanced installer? Why can I not *specifically* tell this thing that I DO NOT WANT the nouveau driver installed? Once that thing is on the system it is a freaking nightmare to get rid of. Sure you can uninstall it but it darn near takes over everything a newb would ever consider. I uninstalled it and installed the nvidia driver and nvidia userspace for my machine and kernel and reboot. Black screen. White cursor. Edited Xorg.conf to load Nvidia. Reboot and got to a desktop. Plasma gives me a notification that plasma renderer is in software mode. Then Plasma crashes. Try to log out but cant because plasma crashes. I reboot from terminal and try running glxgears. Nope won't run. I try steam. Missing libraries. I remove everything Nvidia related and install kernel sources and (apparently successfully) build and install the drivers from Nvidia.com. Reboot and I can't even make it to the login screen.

For a distro billing itself as made for gaming and gamers --- when it can't even properly install the supposedly included Nvidia drivers necessary to do so, is a joke. I am not trying to attack anyone here. I am frustrated because I *really* want to use sabayon and game on the thing but it seems like every time I try to use it long term and update anything (once I am finally able to get the thing to work) everything breaks and I have to start all over. I DO NOT want to use Ubuntu or any variant of it. I have tried and I hate it with a fiery passion. But this distro is absolutely hosed and a frustrating mess to even try, as a newbie, to get working.

dave_64
Advanced Hen

Re: Everything is on fire after system upgrade

Post by dave_64 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:19

Did you run: eselect opengl list
If nvidia is listed, but not marked with an asterisk, you need to run:
eselect opengl set nvidia
reboot