Making USB sticks bootable

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

paulbraun
Baby Hen

Making USB sticks bootable

Post by paulbraun » Mon Nov 04, 2019 18:40

I only installed Sabayon a few days ago. I wanted to try a quite different distro after a Windows 10 update deleted my Manjaro (Arch) and Mint partitions. I only occasionally use Windows, but this virus type attack means I‘ve stopped using it now. I chose Sabayon because I don‘t want to support Debian taking over Linux and it‘s a Gentoo based distro, but I‘ve never had a Gentoo based distro installed before.

My plans now are to install some non Linux operating systems alongside Sabayon, but obviously not Windows. These will be an Amiga type OS, as well as Mac OS to get some commercial support. I recently bought a pack of 3 USB sticks which I should be able to use for installing other operating systems, without having to buy any more DVD-Rs, which I may only use once or they may fail. I recently tried and failed to install Redcore (Gentoo) Linux.

Nearly all of my recent Linux usage has been under Manjaro, so I haven‘t been using any of the Debian apt based commands. I came to the conclusion that so long as a command doesn‘t include apt then it should be compatible with any Linux distro.

How can I make a USB stick bootable using Sabayon? I‘ve tried going through a list of commands, which included grub-install.

sudo cfdisk /dev/sdb

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

sudo grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdb

but then an error messsage came up saying sudo grub-install command not found!

Apart from this, I have installed Unetbootin, but it refuses to run! What should I do now?

joost
Sagely Hen

Re: Making USB sticks bootable

Post by joost » Mon Nov 04, 2019 19:07

The command is grub2-install

In the shell you can type: grub and press the [tab] key to see all available commands.
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

paulbraun
Baby Hen

Post by paulbraun » Mon Nov 04, 2019 20:33

I'm afraid things are now even worse than before! The Shell can't even find my USB stick now, in either of the two ports!

BTW, I'm due to delete Sabayon at about 11:00 UTC on November 5, because that's the deadline for getting AirVPN to work.

paulbraun
Baby Hen

Post by paulbraun » Mon Nov 04, 2019 20:41

Actually, it changed the USB stick to sdc, but the commands still don't work!!

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Mon Nov 04, 2019 21:12

You're goint to install grub on USB stick of your running (/dev/sda ?? ) system
keep in mind , you can install grub on other device to boot your system.

You should chroot in USB stick on a pre-installed OS and the re-run grub-install for that installed system , and then regenerate the grub config

svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Post by svantoviit » Mon Nov 04, 2019 22:08

paulbraun wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 18:40
How can I make a USB stick bootable using Sabayon? I‘ve tried going through a list of commands, which included grub-install.
What exactly would you like to accomplish?

If you have a live ISO file of a distribution it's usually enough to dd it to the USB stick.

paulbraun
Baby Hen

Post by paulbraun » Mon Nov 04, 2019 23:08

I'm afraid that dd is a very complicated command, but a UI for it is called Etcher. I've managed to install Etcher, but it tells me that none of my ISO images is bootable. They're designed to be bootable from DVD though.

I've just been shopping and managed to find ONE DVD-R for sale anywhere I went, so I'll be very careful what I record onto that, because I recently wasted one on the uninstallable Redcore and it now looks as if I wasted another one on installing Sabayon as well! I'm planning to delete Sabayon at about 11:00 UTC on November 5 if I can't connect to AirVPN.

kamu
Baby Hen

Post by kamu » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:31

I use Etcher too I have found that sometimes you just need to to download from a different link

paulbraun
Baby Hen

Post by paulbraun » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:43

Bye bye Sabayon!! Better a day late than never. :evil:

VolvoBirkenstock
Advanced Hen

Post by VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:04

Hello, Paul.

I have made USB sticks bootable by using unetbootin to install the ISO image on the USB.
It was very straight-forward.
If your system supports UEFI, then I suspect it will default to a UEFI installation.

Volvo