Can't use AirVPN

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

paulbraun
Baby Hen

Can't use AirVPN

Post by paulbraun » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:43

I only installed Sabayon about 36 hours ago. I decided to do this after a Windows 10 update deleted my Manjaro Linux and Linux Mint partitions. A friend had persuaded me to use an Acid music composer package. I chose Acid Music Studio 11. After that, I decided to stop using Windows altogether, as well as to try a different Linux distro.

Unfortunately, I‘ve now found that I can‘t connect to AirVPN! This is serious, because I‘ve been using AirVPN for some time now and my current subscription has about two weeks left to run.

I downloaded and installed the AirVPN Eddie UI “portable“ tarball version for non Debian, non Red Hat Linux distros. After extracting this, I had to click on a plain Eddie UI icon, then the familiar Eddie UI window was displayed. Unfortunately, when I click on “Connect to a Recommended Server“ it never connects! The error messages are “Restart in n seconds“, then “Checking authorisation“. Whenever I click on a server from the list of servers which isn‘t in the Netherlands or Belgium, I get “Limit of 5 connections per account reached. Restarting in x seconds“!

I contacted AirVPN, who told me that Eddie UI is untested on Sabayon, but I could run OpenVPN directly. How could I do that? I‘ve clicked on it, as well as typed openvpn in a terminal, but nothing happens except that a very long list of optrions is displayed. They also said that the limit of 5 connections only refers to simultaneous connections.

There‘s also a mono version of Eddie UI. I downloaded this, then installed mono and was able to launch Eddie UI. Unfortunately, this just gives the same error messages as the tarball version.

What can I do now? I‘m desperate to get AirVPN working again. I‘ve read https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy but I don‘t see how that helps here. If only there was a way of installing the .deb or .rpm Eddie UI packages onto Sabayon, but I don‘t know how that may be possible. I think that if I can‘t get AirVPN working in two days from now, then I‘ll have to delete Sabayon and try another Arch based distro instead!

svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Re: Can't use AirVPN

Post by svantoviit » Mon Nov 04, 2019 21:54

Try to download the Linux 64bit Portable version.
Unpack, open the folder in terminal and try to run:

Code: Select all

$ sudo -u root ./eddie-ui
Maybe it works this way.

There's also a CLI tool available, chances are it is more reliable.

You could set up OpenVPN via NetworkManager, you need the details or config file from AirVPN though.
Edit: There's a how to and pretty straightforward: https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/11431-u ... -terminal/
Just install openvpn and eventually networkmanager-openvpn via Entropy (Rigo or equo) and follow the guide.

paulbraun
Baby Hen

Post by paulbraun » Mon Nov 04, 2019 23:18

svantoviit , I'm afraid that sudo -u root ./eddie-ui makes no difference! I think the main problem is that Sabayon and Gentoo distros just aren't well supported enough.

Unfortunately, a lot of the time an exclamation mark and a label saying "limited connectivity" are being displayed next to my WiFi icon! This has only happened since I installed Sabayon, though.

paulbraun
Baby Hen

Post by paulbraun » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:42

Bye bye Sabayon!! Better a day late than never. :evil: