Migrating from nVidia legacy drivers to current [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

johnlgalt
Baby Hen

Migrating from nVidia legacy drivers to current [Solved]

Post by johnlgalt » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:24

Hi, all

Installed ~ 6 months ago, back when I had dual video cards in my system, GTX 970 as pri and GTX 560 Ti 448 Core dedicated to PhysX. Because of the 560, I had to install legacy nVidia drivers (390.xx, according to https://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html )

Today, I fired the box up, having removed the 560, and of course there are tons of updates. But something broke (and I think I know what - the updates, somewhere along the way, took out the 390 drivers). Good thing I had a backup!

It's been a while since I installed - if I just install current drivers for my 970, that's not all I'll need in order to have a working system, is it? :oops:

:arrow: If not, until I figure out exactly what I did during the install, can I force the 390 drivers to install back on the machine in order to keep my system bootable?

I'm not asking for a full walk-through or anything like that - I've got notes, *somewhere*, on what all I had to go through in order to get the system up and running XFCE with the legacy drivers, and the (then) stock kernel. But, if I cannot force the nVidia drivers to install after they are automatically removed, then my only options are either to leave the machine running without rebooting, or go back to Windows until I can find the exact notes, and modify them for the current driver....
Last edited by johnlgalt on Mon Feb 18, 2019 0:22, edited 1 time in total.
I am I

~ John Galt

johnlgalt
Baby Hen

Re: Migrating from nVidia legacy drivers to current

Post by johnlgalt » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:27

I also read through the the Auto_Logout (Systemd 239) thread that the notes point to, and after if finished upgrading all 500+ items, before I rebooted I verified that /var/run is symlinked as menioned by joost, so I figured I would be fine rebooting - never occurred to me that the system had deleted my only working video driver....
I am I

~ John Galt

johnlgalt
Baby Hen

Post by johnlgalt » Sun Feb 17, 2019 17:46

I think I've got most of it figured out.

The biggest thing I am missing is that, although 4.14 boots and 4.17 does not, it's moot anyway - but I need to see if I can get 4.14 updated to the latest nVidia driver and then have the system booting normally before I go running the massive upgrade (which includes GCC 7.3, which I might skip for now as I need to do more research on that).

Sometimes a night of sleeping on the problem can be the best solution (well, that and RTFM, of course).
I am I

~ John Galt

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Sun Feb 17, 2019 22:44

"4.17 does not"

That kernel is not in Entropy. I guess it has been but got dropped. You best stick to the 4.14 kernel.
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

johnlgalt
Baby Hen

Re: Migrating from nVidia legacy drivers to current [Solved]

Post by johnlgalt » Mon Feb 18, 2019 0:25

AYeah, for some reason, the last time I updated Entropy, back in, say, November, I think it was (or else I had, however briefly, perhaps moved to the hell repository).

I managed to get it working correctly, thanks, once again, to one of Fitzcarraldo's blog posts. My original 4.14 works fine now with the updated drivers, after being rebuilt, and then I grabbed 4.20, built it all, and everything works there, so I have 20 as a primary, with 14 as a backup, both of which also have recovery options.

Expanded this across all three machines, and I'm golden again.
I am I

~ John Galt