lost wifi just after installation... [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

Finrod
Young Hen

Re: lost wifi just after installation...

Post by Finrod » Sun Feb 03, 2019 19:17

rbrick49 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 18:46
yes you will fave to su then fsck /dev/sda2 or sdb2 i guess not have any idea how you setup your system
you mean the home partition?

rbrick49
Growing Hen

Post by rbrick49 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 19:21

are you dual booting with windows or do you only have sabayon on your laptop
Host: sabayon.local Kernel: 4.19.0-sabayon x86_64 bits: 64

https://www.linuxcounter.net/cert/621932.png

Finrod
Young Hen

Post by Finrod » Sun Feb 03, 2019 19:46

dual booting!

rbrick49
Growing Hen

Post by rbrick49 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 19:58

you need to fsck the root partition for sabayon

Finrod
Young Hen

Post by Finrod » Sun Feb 03, 2019 20:59

if I try that I get a message that says "fsck from util-linux 2.30.2". What does it mean?

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Feb 04, 2019 0:11

Finrod wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 18:37
Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 16:38
Well, you can see from the error messages in the output you posted that the problem is that the firmware is not being loaded, probably because it is not compatible with the driver (the ath10k modules). Your options are running out. Another thing I have seen suggested when I searched the Web for your model of Wi-Fi card is to do the following (as root user):

Code: Select all

mv /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/firmware-6.bin /home/finrod/
As you can see, that command moves the file firmware-6.bin out of the firmware directory and leaves the file firmware-5.bin in the directory. Perhaps that version of the firmware will work in your installation.

Try that and reboot to see what happens.
tried, I get this reply: "mv: cannot create regular file '/home/finrod/': Not a directory"
I'm assuming your username is 'finrod' and therefore your home directory is /home/finrod. If not, obviously replace it with your actual username:

mv /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/firmware-6.bin /home/finrod/firmware-6.bin
Also, obviously check that the file /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/firmware-6.bin actually exists. (If it doesn't, what are the contents of that directory?)

rbrick49
Growing Hen

Post by rbrick49 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:33

when you installed sabayon did you do all these commands one by one as root

# equo update

If you run into problems with that then try:

# equo update --force

Next, as mentioned in the section above, it is a good idea to optimize the sorting of mirrors so that all package upgrades will be downloaded as quickly as possible:

# equo repo mirrorsort sabayon-weekly

Once you have that completed it is vital to get Entropy upgraded to the latest version before doing a full system upgrade. Upgrade will bring your system to current development.

# equo install sys-apps/entropy rigo equo --relaxed
# equo conf update

Once the Entropy code is upgraded to the latest version, fully upgrade the rest of your system with these two commands:

# equo update
# equo upgrade --ask

Follow what is happening on the screen, as Entropy will show you what it is going to do and ask for confirmations.

The 'equo update' command will update the database on your PC with the latest information on packages available in the Entropy repositories;
the 'equo upgrade' command will download from the repositories the binary files for new versions of packages installed on your PC and then install the new versions of those packages.

Time of process depends on how many packages, bandwidth and hardware. After it is done, make sure to:

# equo conf update

You will want to make your selection but you really should get to know your config files as they will change your system. More than likely most will select -5. I always look over the config files as I don't want some of my configs getting overwritten.

The final step is to run the following commands, checking for missing dependencies and stability:

# equo deptest
# equo libtest

if you didnt it wont build properly those last 2 are very important

rbrick49
Growing Hen

Post by rbrick49 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 14:15

well downloaded and installed sabayon xfce same problem as gnome no wifi after update once I switched to kernel 4.19 wifi worked

Finrod
Young Hen

Post by Finrod » Wed Feb 06, 2019 21:16

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 0:11
Finrod wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 18:37
Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 16:38
Well, you can see from the error messages in the output you posted that the problem is that the firmware is not being loaded, probably because it is not compatible with the driver (the ath10k modules). Your options are running out. Another thing I have seen suggested when I searched the Web for your model of Wi-Fi card is to do the following (as root user):

mv /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/firmware-6.bin /home/finrod/
As you can see, that command moves the file firmware-6.bin out of the firmware directory and leaves the file firmware-5.bin in the directory. Perhaps that version of the firmware will work in your installation.

Try that and reboot to see what happens.
tried, I get this reply: "mv: cannot create regular file '/home/finrod/': Not a directory"
I'm assuming your username is 'finrod' and therefore your home directory is /home/finrod. If not, obviously replace it with your actual username:
back here, been a bit too busy these last few days to sort this...

Yes, my username is finrod... or better Finrod ;-) and when I wrote the command with the correct capital F and rebooted... miracle! Wifi is here and so far (10 minutes...) it has been working! :-)

Many thanks and lets hope it will stay like this without any new issue coming out... I'll wait another couple of days before adding the tag [solved] if you don't mind ;-)

best wishes
thanks again!

rbrick49
Growing Hen

Post by rbrick49 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 23:31

good stuff