stuck at the partitioning while installing Sabayon [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

Finrod
Simple Hen

stuck at the partitioning while installing Sabayon [Solved]

Post by Finrod » Thu Jan 24, 2019 22:03

hi, first time here and new to Sabayon, but not to Linux, in any case sorry if my language is more descriptive than technical :-)
And sorry again if it’s going to be pretty long...

I’m quite stuck trying to install Sabayon on a new laptop, trying to have a double boot machine and to overwrite the partitions of a previous (failed) Linux (Antergos) install...

The laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 320 (AMD A9-9420, Radeon R5 & 8 GB Ram, 1 T HD).

I have just been following the installer, I get to the manual partitioning bit where I have this main list:
New Sabayon installation - Unknown Linux - Unknown
Unknown Linux and Unknown are divided in several partitions.
I open Unknown Linux and I get DATA /home SYSTEM /boot / swap
each partition an sdax from the previous attempt.

So far so good, then I select /home in the Unknown, write /home in the mount point, click update and it doubles and appears also up in the list under New Sabayon.

Then I do the same for the boot partition, I write /boot as mount point in what's already listed as /boot in the Unknown Linux and update it moves up to the New Sabayon list.
Now, something important is that the sda1, the boot partition, is in common with the Windows one, this because the Antergos wiki advised me to do just this: “Next is to create the /boot/efi partition. Actually, we don’t need to create it! Windows already has it. We can just specify the path to it. Just make sure to NOT format it”.

Now the problems: if I try the same on the / partition in the Unknown Linux and update I get an error message that says "You must create a new file system on the root device".
File System is ext4, but it's grey, cannot modify. Should I select reformat?

Again with the swap partition, here I can't update settings, unless I write something in Label (everything else is grey), what should I write (do...)?

Should I just delete/edit/whatever all these partitions with gparted (well, except sda1 as I’d like to keep the Windows boot, if possible) and then manually create the home, boot etc. during the installation?
Or what else?

Many thanks! :-)
Last edited by Finrod on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: stuck at the partitioning while installing Sabayon

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:45

Finrod wrote:Should I just delete/edit/whatever all these partitions with gparted (well, except sda1 as I’d like to keep the Windows boot, if possible) and then manually create the home, boot etc. during the installation?
Yes.

Finrod
Simple Hen

Re: stuck at the partitioning while installing Sabayon

Post by Finrod » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:32

thanks Fitzcarraldo!
I had actually already done it, and it worked... even too good :-)
It booted straight into Sabayon but I had the Windows option too, already tried that and it booted Windows without an issue too... after all the failures I had with Manjaro and Antergos on this Lenovo it seems almost too good to be true!
Now I have to learn how to install all the the applications I need and how Sabayon works... but the simple fact that it works is already great :-)