Auto-logout after weekly update [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

VolvoBirkenstock
Advanced Hen

Auto-logout after weekly update [Solved]

Post by VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:30

Hello, Sabayon Gurus.

I have performed the weekly upgrade to both my desktop and laptop systems. Subsequent to the upgrade of my laptop, I rebooted the system. Now when I login to the graphical login interface, I am presented with the usual display, but after approximately one minute and fifteen seconds I am logged out and again presented with the graphical login interface. When logged in and presented with my typical user display, I never see the application launcher, and if I right click on the monitor background, nothing happens...there is no typical menu.

During the brief period of time that I have an xterm (Konsole) available, I have run "top" with a sampling interval of one second. I see that kwin_x11 and Xorg are running at the top of the active processes. I suspect that something is killing the window or display manager and leading to this periodic behavior.

If I use Control-Alt-F2 (or F3, etcetera) and attempt to obtain a "virtual terminal", I am presented with a blank screen and no login prompt. After approximately one minute and fifteen seconds, the blank screen is replaced with the graphical login interface.

If I do nothing after reboot, I see the graphical login interface, and then after about one minute and thirty seconds, the graphical login interface flashes to black and is replaced with a new graphical login interface.

My laptop is running the 4.9 sabayon kernel with KDE.

I do not want to reboot my desktop until this issue with my laptop is resolved, because I suspect a reasonable likelihood of similar behavior. I suspect that a fix of my laptop will require use of a LiveDVD and chroot, so I am hoping someone can provide me with some clues or specific cookbook instructions.

EDITED TO ADD:
Looking through /var/log/ on my laptop, I see a directory called "private". It apparently contains nothing. Even weirder, I see that the directory is timestamped tomorrow's date. Bizarre.
END OF EDITED TO ADD

I greatly appreciate your patience. Let me know if you need additional information and I will try to gather it within the short period of time that I'm given.
Thank you very much in advance.
Last edited by VolvoBirkenstock on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:38, edited 1 time in total.

VolvoBirkenstock
Advanced Hen

Re: Unusable: Auto-logout after weekly update

Post by VolvoBirkenstock » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:50

Hello again, Sabayon Gurus.

My previous post was about my laptop, using a sabayon 4.9 kernel with KDE. This post is about my desktop, which also runs 4.9 with KDE. It was also updated via sabayon-weekly this past Saturday. I was forced to reboot it this evening.

Subsequent to reboot, I am presented with the following message on my monitor in plain ASCII text:

Code: Select all

Starting version 239
You are in emergency mode.  After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs.  "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or exit 
to boot into default mode. 
Give root password for maintenance 
(or press Control-D to continue):
I have performed "journalctl -xb", but the output is very extensive and I lack the knowledge to interpret the output. Despite the use of "systemctl default", subsequent boots return to the above "emergency mode" message. However, if I use Control-D, I eventually achieve the system running in the state to which I am accustomed.

Frankly, I have little faith in the stability of this system, and I don't know what will happen with the next sabayon-weekly update. Can you tell me how to return the system to the configuration prior to this most recent update? If not, then I'm afraid that I must either LFC to a more recent kernel or a different Linux version. I have much non-sabayon software on my system, and a new LFC, subsequent software loading and configurating, regardless of the Linux version, is going to take me more than a week of evenings to complete.

Thank you very much in advance.

uncake
Baby Hen

Post by uncake » Tue Nov 27, 2018 16:20

Hi I've exatly the same problem with kernel 4.14.0 at moment to use my laptop I've swiched from sddm to slim beocuse sddm has continuosly crash an reload.
the same things is happening to NetworkManager that is reloded continuosly and some system servicet do not start.

systemctl output:

● avahi-daemon.service loaded failed failed Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack
cups-browsed.service loaded active running Make remote CUPS printers available l>
cups.service loaded active running CUPS Scheduler
dbus.service loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus
dracut-shutdown.service loaded active exited Restore /run/initramfs on shutdown
[email protected] loaded active running Getty on tty1
[email protected] loaded failed failed hdapsd hard drive active protection s>
irqbalance.service loaded active running irqbalance daemon
kmod-static-nodes.service loaded active exited Create list of required static device>
● ModemManager.service loaded failed failed Modem Manager
NetworkManager.service loaded activating start start Network Manager
ntpd.service loaded active running Network Time Service
● secureconnector.service loaded failed failed ForeScout SecureConnector
slim.service loaded active running SLiM Simple Login Manager
steambox.service loaded active running Sabayon Steam Box
[email protected]:intel_backlight.service loaded active exited Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness>
systemd-fsck-root.service loaded active exited File System Check on Root Device
[email protected]\x2duuid-22042d3b\x2dbd59\x2d4f63\x2d8b1c\x2d0e28bf98cb62.service loaded active exited File System Check on /dev/disk/by-uui>
systemd-journal-flush.service loaded active exited Flush Journal to Persistent Storage
systemd-journald.service loaded active running Journal Service
● systemd-logind.service loaded failed failed Login Service
systemd-modules-load.service loaded active exited Load Kernel Modules

VolvoBirkenstock
Advanced Hen

Post by VolvoBirkenstock » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:42

Thank you for responding, uncake. I'm sorry to read that you are experiencing similar problems with a more recent kernel image. It makes me wonder how widespread the problem is.

If sddm is the root cause, then I would hope that replacing the problematic version of sddm with a working version might be the simplest fix.

Is there a simple method to replace the current sddm version with the previous version? If so, how is this accomplished? I note that Rigo only offers sddm 0.18.0. How do I determine and specify the previous version for download and installation?

Thank you very much.

uncake
Baby Hen

Post by uncake » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:53

Hi VolvoBirkenstock I'm not shure at moment but I think the problem is elsewhere, the sddm reload is only an effect of that, like the nerworkmanager continuosly restart is an effect too.
An other consequence is that i can't reboot o shutdown the sistem from the guy by my user but i need become root first.
Maybe something is broken in dbus or systemd librarie's, i suspect it, or something is missing in dependence i don't know. But we need a guru now. I'm not so expert.

Regards
Uncake

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Wed Nov 28, 2018 21:51

The problem seems to be on older installs that do not have /var/run as a symlink to /run

Can you post the output of:

ls -l /var/ | grep run
Should look like this:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Sep 7 2017 run -> /run
If you don't see a symlink here, you need to remove /var/run and after this create a symlink to /run instead and reboot:

rm -rf /var/run && ln -s /run /var/run
Then reboot the system.
My blog | Twitter | Please support Sabayon: Image

VolvoBirkenstock
Advanced Hen

Post by VolvoBirkenstock » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:22

Hello, Joost. Good to hear from you again!

EDITED TO ADD: The discussion below concerns only my desktop.

It doesn't look like the issue with a symlink between /var/run and /run is root cause.

$ ls -l /var/ | grep run
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    4 Sep 23  2015 run -> /run
Apparently it's dated all the way back to 2015...

Sorry. Do you have any other ideas? Any information you need from me?

EDITED TO ADD: Joost, I found the situation you described on my laptop. I changed the design in keeping with your explicit instructions, and the problem has been corrected! THANK YOU... So now the problem is limited to only my desktop.

Thank you again.

uncake
Baby Hen

Post by uncake » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:29

It works for me too

Thanks a lot
Uncake

geaaru
Baby Hen

Post by geaaru » Thu Nov 29, 2018 14:33

Hi, some more informations for fresh upgraded rootfs.

With upgrade systemd service binaries there is a change of paths so for reboot correctly upgraded rootfs it's needed force use of abs path for systemctl.

In particular:

1) Reexec systemd daemon

$ /bin/systemctl daemon-reexec
2) Reboot

$ /bin/systemctl reboot 

VolvoBirkenstock
Advanced Hen

Post by VolvoBirkenstock » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:11

Thank you for your response, geaaru.
I performed:

su
/bin/systemctl daemon-reexec
I noticed that this command returned immediately. I waited around one minute and then performed:

/bin/systemctl reboot 
As expected, the system started to reboot. Booting took much longer than normal. During the boot process, I was again provided with the following message:

Starting version 239
You are in emergency mode.  After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs.  "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or exit 
to boot into default mode. 
Give root password for maintenance 
(or press Control-D to continue):
I responded by hitting "Control D". The boot process finished and I was able to login. Unfortunately, I believe the system is still damaged given the appearance of the above "emergency mode" message.

Thank you.