Hello - Sabayon procedures

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Reynaldo
Baby Hen

Hello - Sabayon procedures

Post by Reynaldo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 23:48

I've been lurking forums for years now, I actually tried sabayon 5-6 years ago when I was deciding in getting into gentoo, sadly I decided back in the day for Arch linux but I like gentoo feel/sabayon community more than Arch as they feel elitist.

I want to learn more about Sabayon.

Sabayon uses its own repos, what's the procedure when the developers want to release new software? they wait for gentoo to release it then get it ready for sabayon, do any modifications are done or its just a compiled package that can be installed through equo?

When using emerge, do we use gentoo repos or sabayon repos?

Is there anywhere specific where i can find all installed packages in default sabayon installation?

svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Re: Hello - Sabayon procedures

Post by svantoviit » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:23

Welcome back Reynaldo!
Reynaldo wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 23:48
Sabayon uses its own repos, what's the procedure when the developers want to release new software? they wait for gentoo to release it then get it ready for sabayon, do any modifications are done or its just a compiled package that can be installed through equo?
Sabayon is primarily a binary distribution, use of emerge is discouraged unless you really know what you are doing. So by using equo or Rigo, you install binary packages. Usually the packages are pulled from Gentoo unstable with some exceptions and compiled for Sabayon. Also for specific changes there are two Sabayon overlays used: sabayon-distro and sabayon.
When using Entropy, you can principally choose between the weekly (sabayon-weekly) and the main repository (sabayonlinux.org). The difference is, weekly gets the updates a little bit later, so chances are potential bugs have been corrected meanwhile. For masochists or people who would like to help out with testing, there is limbo.
Apart from that you can use the Sabayon Community Repositories - SCR on top of the main repo. It's something like AUR.
Reynaldo wrote:
When using emerge, do we use gentoo repos or sabayon repos?
Whichever you choose. See comment on emerge above.
Reynaldo wrote:
Is there anywhere specific where i can find all installed packages in default sabayon installation?
Yes, package lists on the download page or the mirrors, f. ex.: Sabayon_Linux_18.05_amd64_GNOME.iso.pkglist.