Everything has gone wrong!

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

heathen
Growing Hen

Everything has gone wrong!

Post by heathen » Mon May 28, 2018 19:50

I let my step daughter check her email on my computer last night. Next thing I know it's froze up. She said all she did was wipe off the touchpad with her sleeve. I couldn't get it to unfreeze so I hard restarted. It comes back with "unknown filesystem" and goes into "grub rescue>". So I've tried the different directions I can find online and some of it is not working or telling me "Unknown command", etc..

I walk the hubby through making me a live usb on his Win7 with an iso of Sabayon Mate I have on my external drive so I can get into a terminal at least and see a gui on the filesystem. So, I get into the Sabayon Wiki and find an entry for Restore Grub2. Directions look easy enough, but it's also telling me "command not found" and other stuff. I'll try to post some pics of it all.

On top of that, I pull out my old notebook with Lubuntu on it and can't remember my password. I can't do much as Guest, so I look up and try to reset the password in the root shell, the directions seem simple, but it's giving me problems too!!! "ls /home" doesn't list anything, and the "passwd" command is telling me my username doesn't exist when I know it does because it's right there on login.

Everything i find with directions on how to deal with these things just assume that the directions given will work. No "what if it doesn't" I can't install and use gparted or unetbootin, or any of those things as Guest on the Lubuntu machine, or working out of a live usb with Mate. I literally can't get anything to work, have NO IDEA what I'm doing, and am about to throw both computers out the window and start over.

Can someone with some patience for an idiot please help?
just wandering around and poking stuff with sticks...

heathen
Growing Hen

Re: Everything has gone wrong!

Post by heathen » Mon May 28, 2018 20:00

See if this works. For some reason the Midori in the Mate live usb won't open sabayon.org. It says handshake failed every time...

nope I guess not. It's been awhile and i can't remember how to post pictures...

heathen
Growing Hen

Post by heathen » Mon May 28, 2018 20:24

Oh, and I forgot to mention that my phone, LG, was tethered by USB to the computer when this happened and it either wiped or corrupted the SD card on it, too. The phone itself is fine but the SD card seems to have been toasted by whatever happened to the laptop hard drive.

When I bring up the file manager in Mate everything is still there it's just unreadable or "unkown".

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Tue May 29, 2018 20:28

Just a guess. Maybe the cable that connects your hard drive to the motherboard (inside the PC) got loose or something.
That might explain why it froze. But since you mention a touch pad this might as well be a laptop? My guess would be that whatever it is either the hard drive got disconnected somehow or there is some other hardware failure with the drive. I'd focus on the hard drive first.

I feel very sorry but can't help you any better right now.
My blog | Twitter | Please support Sabayon: Image

Ryuno-Ki
Old Dear Hen

Post by Ryuno-Ki » Wed May 30, 2018 18:16

Hi,

sorry to hear what happened to you. Maybe take a break before you throw things around ;-)

Some ideas on what could have gone wrong with your diagnosis:

1) grub commands not found: What commands did you enter? Could you share the link with the instructions you followed?

2) midori: Maybe Midori can't deal with the TLS cert (the s in https). Try another browser like Firefox or Chromium.

3) /home/user not found: The user most likely does not exist on the USB pendrive. Were you able to mount the harddrive? If so, what commands did you use?

Hope that helps a bit thinking through it...

Ryu
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests

heathen
Growing Hen

Post by heathen » Wed May 30, 2018 21:23

Ryuno-Ki wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 18:16
Hi,

sorry to hear what happened to you. Maybe take a break before you throw things around ;-)

Some ideas on what could have gone wrong with your diagnosis:

1) grub commands not found: What commands did you enter? Could you share the link with the instructions you followed?
once I could get onto sabayon.org this is what I found. https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... tore_Grub2
It told me "bash: grub2-intall: command not found". Among other things. Half the commands entered resulted in that or "unknown filesystem", or some kind of deadend.
2) midori: Maybe Midori can't deal with the TLS cert (the s in https). Try another browser like Firefox or Chromium.
I really wanted to but as live usb I can't install a different browser to use. I using my hubby's computer with win7 right now while he's at work...
3) /home/user not found: The user most likely does not exist on the USB pendrive. Were you able to mount the harddrive? If so, what commands did you use?

Hope that helps a bit thinking through it...

Ryu
I've stepped away from the big problem for a moment to make the netbook work. I just assumed there was something wrong with my username in Lubuntu, so I went ahead and installed Sabayon Mate on it instead since I already had the live usb for it. Unfortunately because the netbook has the stupid gma500 paulsbo that's come with a set of different problems and it won't download the repositories and Rigo isn't working, so now I'm trying to get a newest version of Lubuntu to put back on it. I'm determined to have at least one working machine without having to use the hubby's just to use unetbootin or firefox. I'm also trying to download the newest version of Sabayon Mate, too, since I only had version 11 from a long time ago. I'm hoping having the newest versions will help.

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Thu May 31, 2018 11:34

Are you sure that your chroot has been successful ?
[Che Cos'è Il Calcolo Distribuito (BOINC)

BOINC ready ! Sabayon+BOINC = BILD ,my Sabayon spin :cyclops: - Ready to crunch for the Science everywhere :)

Ryuno-Ki
Old Dear Hen

Post by Ryuno-Ki » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:38

heathen Any updates?
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests