Not getting past the command line when logging in

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

Onbayas
Baby Hen

Not getting past the command line when logging in

Post by Onbayas » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:03

I use the command line to decrypt my drive, then put in my login and password details but when I do that successfully, I'm still on the command line, with the following two symbols: ~ $

How do I get my desktop back?

This was the first day I was using Sabayon and I'd entered some commands from the Wiki, like equo update etc. I'd also used Rigo, I think it was, to get Firefox and Tor. For some reason, Tor didn't appear on my apps, so I got it via a web browser which, worked.

I also had no luck trying to download from a web browser JonDo (info on how to extract files, where to extract them to and how to get JonDo up and running would be appreciated).

Anyway, I sort of get the feeling that my updates today worked.

So, what went wrong? How do I fix this? The installation went so well...it would be a pity if the problems only begin now!

Onbayas
Baby Hen

Re: Not getting past the command line when logging in

Post by Onbayas » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:36

Update:

I reinstalled Sabayon and the update process seemed to be going well, but I had the same problem reoccur. This time I noticed a message on the screen:

"journal corrupted or uncleanly shut down, renaming and replacing" re "File /var/log/journal/.../user...".

I'd like to get a solution to this problem, otherwise I'll just have to try another Linux distro.

svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Re: Not getting past the command line when logging in

Post by svantoviit » Tue Sep 26, 2017 18:30

Hello, Onbayas,
it would be helpful, if you could tell us the version of Sabayon you are trying to install.
And also the exact steps which leads to your problem, otherwise it is hard to give you any advice.