'eselect kernel list' doesnt list kernel selections [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

sabayondessert
Baby Hen

'eselect kernel list' doesnt list kernel selections [Solved]

Post by sabayondessert » Mon Sep 18, 2017 16:32

Fresh install of Sabayon Linux 16.11. Attempting to update the kernel (latest version is linux-sabayon-4.12.11 as of this post). Following instructions listed in the article "How-to upgrade kernel with Entropy". Entropy has been successfully updated. Then perform the following steps:

1. Install latetest kernel image

Code: Select all

# equo install --ask linux-sabayon"
'text about the kernel'
'continue with dependencies, y'
2. Select the kernel:

# eselect kernel list
Available kernel symlink targets:
  (none found)
The article shows 2 kernels in the list. After entering this command, why aren't there any kernels listed?

Notes:
1. My current kernel is 4.8.0.
2. I have not installed any kernel sources (fresh install of Sabayon 16.11).
3. I'm using the xfce version of Sabayon.
4. I'm running this on virtual machine (VMware)

After I do this, I go through and check the bzimage, opengl, etc. settings. Then reboot. I get the login screen and I can login with no problem, display is fine. When xfce switches the resolution (I changed the resolution to 1680x1050) after logging in, the video looks compressed. This may be another issue, however it occurs after updating the kernel. Not only that, when I swich back to the 4.8.0 kernel I get the same problem. It "breaks" both video/display configurations.
Last edited by sabayondessert on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:20, edited 1 time in total.

johnnystuff
Young Hen

Re: 'eselect kernel list' doesn't list any kernel selections

Post by johnnystuff » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:30

The problems about upgrading the kernel are mostly related to the modules that must be rebuilt for that specific kernel, mainly the GPU driver (see here for instance). As for the kernel image, you can run "eselect bzImage list" or even better, try using kernel-swticher as in:

#equo install linux-sabayon-X.Y.Z
#kernel-switcher list
#kernel-switcher switch linux-sabayon-X.Y.Z
this should take care of 2 vital stuff: the aforementioned modules and grub. Finally, I believe it's redundant, but you can re-run the GPU driver module update, which in my case would be:

#equo install nvidia-drivers_WHATEVER#X.Y.00-sabayon

Lazydog
Simple Hen

Post by Lazydog » Wed Sep 20, 2017 16:37

johnnystuff wrote:

#equo install linux-sabayon-X.Y.Z
#kernel-switcher list
#kernel-switcher switch linux-sabayon-X.Y.Z
No need to run the install first as the kernel-switcher switch command will install it automatically.
--
Regards
Robert

sabayondessert
Baby Hen

Post by sabayondessert » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:57

Thanks for the response johnnystuff. I was using VMware Workstation 12 Player to run Sabayon so I was using the VMware graphics driver-upgrading NVidia or AMD drivers should be easy as these are common graphics cards most people use and are supported well. However I'm not aware of updating the VMware driver this way-I googled and googled for a way to do this but couldn't find anything. Also, I shouldn't have suspected it to be bad because it worked on the live CD as well as the 4.8.0 __system__ install (more on this further below). I had some issues with 12 with other distros, but the Sabayon live CD (installer) worked fine, as well as the out-of-the-box 4.8.0 (4.8.4) kernel so I thought I was good to go to upgrade. It was when I switched to the 4.12.11 kernel that the video stopped working correctly. Under Sabayon 4.8.0 I changed the resolution to 1680x1050 and enlarge the desktop. I left the resolution like this then upgraded to 4.12.11. When I booted with 4.12.11, the video wasn't right. AFAIK, Sabayon has a VMWare graphics driver and was using it (but I don't know how to verify the version, 4.8 vs 4.12-I checked logs/dmesg/etc but couldn't determine if the correct VMWare graphics driver was running). However, messing around with the different resolution settings I found that I could get corrected video by selecting a standard resolution-1024x768 worked fine. I didn't try the other resoultions but they would probably work too (800x600, etc). Another thing-when I went back to the 4.8.0 kernel, the video issue persisted.

After several reinstalls and failed upgrades I realized I didn't/don't have the time to troubleshoot these video issues (recompile the VMWare driver; it should just work/verify if the correct driver was being selected or auto-selected/etc). Instead I upgraded my (previously installed) version of VirtualBox and created a Sabayon VM using that. No video problems and no problems upgrading the kernel-Sabayon on VirtualBox will even detect the correct resolution of my monitor, 1920x1080 and list it as a setting in the Display settings. The other VM couldn't do that. It took me the approximate time of a Saturday afteroon to get Sabayon up and running on VirtualBox. I suspect there's an issue with the VMware video driver but as I mentioned before I don't have the time to troubleshoot these issues.

I'm working on a post to describe my experience with Sabayon loaded onto VMware and VirtualBox. In general, I'm probably going to convert all of my VMware VMs to VirtualBox VMs. I've had other issues with VMware and since VirtualBox worked so well the first time I used it with Sabayon, I'm going to use VirtualBox for everything else going forward.

svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Post by svantoviit » Tue Sep 26, 2017 18:09

sabayondessert wrote: 2. Select the kernel:

# eselect kernel list
Available kernel symlink targets:
  (none found)
The article shows 2 kernels in the list. After entering this command, why aren't there any kernels listed?
The behavior has changed slightly. This command lists installed sources only. You need to install sys-kernel/sabayon-sources if you for some reason need them.

As mentioned by the others, if you want to install a new kernel, use kernel-switcher.
You can select an installed (binary) kernel with eselect bzimage.

sabayondessert
Baby Hen

Post by sabayondessert » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:16

I'm marking this thread solved. The solution was posted (thanks svantoviit) in this thread and can be found in earlier threads after (thoroughly) searching the forum for this issue. Here's the link* to one of them:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=33368&p=178223&hil ... ernel+list

* Incidentally, this thread is not marked solved. May I make a suggestion to mark it solved??

I stumbled across this issue while following the instructions to upgrade the kernel listed on this page:

https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... ng_Entropy

After updating equo and installing the kernel image the instructions say to select the kernel using eselect. It appears that several posts (in this thread and others) confirm that you don't have to do this when simply upgrading the kernel and NOT upgrading the kernel-releated drivers or modifying/recompiling the kernel. I'll admit I'm curious about why you don't need to do this step anymore(is there a new process/upgrade method/etc in place) but I think that's a historical topic which is beyond the scope of this thread. For now I'm just happy there's an explanation for why we don't need to do this.

I'd like to make a suggstion to update the wiki page to at least note that performing this step is optional and why. It appears the wiki page is old (last modified 23/11/12) it's in the process of being updated (it references 2.6.XX kernels) or simply the wrong page. It would have saved me some time if I knew this step was unnecessary when upgrading kernel since I had other issues I was juggling regarding the installation of Sabayon. I tried to follow the instructions and when I came to this step I wasn't sure if I needed to do anything with it or if something else was broke. It introduced another variable into the equation and I was already troubleshooting other things. I need the kernel sources and will eventually install them but I couldn't get a completely working VM of Sabayon running and just wanted to concentrate on that. In the end, just use VirtualBox instead of something else.

Thank you again svantoviit for posting the solution to this, much appreciated :D :D !!

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:58

sabayondessert wrote: After updating equo and installing the kernel image the instructions say to select the kernel using eselect. It appears that several posts (in this thread and others) confirm that you don't have to do this when simply upgrading the kernel and NOT upgrading the kernel-releated drivers or modifying/recompiling the kernel. I'll admit I'm curious about why you don't need to do this step anymore(is there a new process/upgrade method/etc in place) but I think that's a historical topic which is beyond the scope of this thread. For now I'm just happy there's an explanation for why we don't need to do this.
Every kernel update/upgrade has its own recompiled third part modules marked as "revision" in the package info and this process is done by the entropy server managed by developers

If you don't need to compile your own third part module(s) you don't need about kernel sources (or our sabayon-sources)

Some parts of our wiki are out of date and must be updated.

Wiki can be edited by anyone who can help us
[Che Cos'è Il Calcolo Distribuito (BOINC)

BOINC ready ! Sabayon+BOINC = BILD ,my Sabayon spin :cyclops: - Ready to crunch for the Science everywhere :)