Dumb question about grub and the install process.

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

johnnystuff
Young Hen

Dumb question about grub and the install process.

Post by johnnystuff » Fri Aug 18, 2017 17:00

Why is that now there is no option about not installing grub during the installation process? I've tried different distro and so different installers and not a single one had that option. Back in the days when men had to compile their own kernel and build a distro in stages (wink wink) everyone had the choice to install a bootloader or not, and even to choose which one and play with the grub.conf directly if he wanted (dared) to do so.

Seriously: is there a way to avoid that and let one 'main distro' deal with the new entries eventually added?

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Re: Dumb question about grub and the install process.

Post by sabayonino » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:44

:arrow: :arrow:

:?: :?: :?: :?:
[Che Cos'è Il Calcolo Distribuito (BOINC)

BOINC ready ! Sabayon+BOINC = BILD ,my Sabayon spin :cyclops: - Ready to crunch for the Science everywhere :)

johnnystuff
Young Hen

Post by johnnystuff » Sat Aug 19, 2017 16:03

Doh! Didn't notice it. I assume it's possible to untick every disk and prevent it from installing anything right? Then go in 'my-main-distro' and run a grub update/mkconfig or whatever is necessary.

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Sat Aug 19, 2017 16:45

Yes.You can avoid to install the bootloader and let your main distro detect sabayon updating grub

if bootloader has been overwritten by sabayon , come back to your main distro and reinstall "grub" on properly disk
[Che Cos'è Il Calcolo Distribuito (BOINC)

BOINC ready ! Sabayon+BOINC = BILD ,my Sabayon spin :cyclops: - Ready to crunch for the Science everywhere :)